Witness

Chapter 9: Witness
Stefan's POV

I keep shaking my legs as my elbows are against my knees. I keep squirming on the steat, I look restless. I stretch out on it also tapping my foot on the floor, checking my watch, looking around anything to pass the time.

I rub my face as I open my eyes, I see bloodstain in my hands. The blood isn't mine. It's Elena's. I wince in pain when I remember it.

She looked so happy in the flower shop, buying a bouquet. Probably for her or probably for me. I was talking to Junior over the phone. I was on the other side of the road but I could clearly see Elena. Junior was saying over the phone that he was missing me. So was I. I was missing him like crazy.

And then I saw her excitement faded away. She kept staring at her front road. I wrinkled my forehead when I saw her stopped walking in the middle of the walkway. It wasn't a busy road but people drive there very unsafely. I called her as I was coming towards her. I needed to cross the road to actually reach to her but the signal wasn't stopping.

Her phone was vibrating but she wasn't answering as she kept looking at her front or maybe looking someone. As the signal stops I run to cross the road and I did but it was too late. I didn't see Elena standing there anymore. Because she was already lying on the road. The roses of bouquet she bought was near her head and her blood coming from her head was reaching it.

I bent my knees and immediately took her head on my lap. She still had sense. I pull out my handkerchief and tried to stop the blood that was coming from her forehead. It was a deep cut. She must have fallen on the road pretty hard. The road was under construction so anyone could easily get hurt. And she did. She got hurt. My Elena. So poor and helpless she looked.

I stroked her cheek trying my best to keep her sense up. I called 911 but they couldn't come immediately, of course.

"Lena, talk to me. Please" I told her softly. My tears were falling on her rosy cheeks that were soaked in her own blood and then mixing with my salty tears. I saw fear in her eyes. Her eyes were speaking. They were so scared and unprotected.

"It's okay. Don't talk" I told her when she tried to speak up. "Just be here with me, okay? Can you do that?" I asked her holding her tightly. She closed her eyes and opened to look at me.

I held my handkerchief tighter against her forehead. Few people gathered around us. One of them checked her pulse rate. It was rapidly growing up which meant she was about to pass out.

I heard the sound. The ambulance was there and it was the moment I saw Elena closed her eyes. She was groping my arm but she gently let go of it. My face turned blue just like she turned. I have lost my parents, then my brother and then Junior. I didn't want to lose Elena. It wasn't enough. I wanted her in my life. I wanted to tell her that I loved her. I loved her. I loved her. I wanted to scream my lungs out for her. I wanted her to know that.

They took her on the stretcher. I gently kissed the back of her hand "Hold on to it, Elena" I whispered as my tear fell on her delicate hand.

"Are you related to Elena?" A female vocal brings me back to my thoughts. I look at her. "Yes, husband" without looking at the person I tell immediately. The nurse gives me a questioning glare. I then look at her and furrow my eyebrows at her.

Fuck! That's Ursula. The girl I had fucked many times. I close my eyes and look at her again, guilty.

She rolls her eyes. "You can see her. She's okay".

I smile at her awkwardly. This is awkward. I need to get out of here. I hope she doesn't make any scene right now for me lying that I'm Elena's husband.

The hospital will ask her family and only will allow her family members to meet her instead of me. Boyfriend isn't allowed. Hell, I'm not even her boyfriend. I don't who am I to her. I don't know much about her family member. She never talked about her family.

And I don't want to call Caroline. Because she's a mess, she'll make a big deal out of it and I had slept with her (couldn't come). So, she basically hates me.

I shrug my shoulder as I gently open the door to make sure I don't wake her up. As I take a step, I see her stirring.

"Hey" I say lowly. She opens her eyes like 90% and then closes. "Hi" she says smiling.

I sigh in relief seeing the smile. She looks so broken and yet so cheery. I hate what had happened to her. What if I weren't there when the accident happened to her? Or what if because of me she is in this situation right now. The second date was a bad idea.

"You can come and sit next to me, you know" she babbles when she notices I'm not moving ahead.

I lick my lips as my head drops in embarrassment.

I sit next to her. She turns her head to see me. She squints her eyes and puts her index finger, pointing at me. "What's the look? Have you been crying?" She asks me.

I close my eyes as a warm breath comes out of my nostril. I smile. "You scared me, you know" my voice cracks. Damn! I'm too girly too emotional.

She pouts "Oh! Stefan. Are you going to cry now?" She asks me causing me to laugh hysterically. She does too.

"It's just... I never wanted this to happen to you. For a moment... I thought" I pause. Elena tilts her head and close her eyes. She moans "Uh!! Stefan. I just hurt my head. It wasn't like I was going to die or anything" she jokes about it. I give her hard face she peaks an eye at me.

"I'm okay" she smiles. "Really, I'm okay. I'll be fine by tomorrow" she assures me. Well, it'll take more than a week but let her be happy for her recovery prediction.

I nod. "Yes, I want you to be okay. To get well soon" I tell her. She gently puts her hand above my hand, rub it. I close my eyes. And then it hits me.

I should just ask her why was she standing like she saw a ghost in the middle of the walkaway. But it's a bad timing and I don't want her to go through whatever she faced before she hurt herself. But there's something. And I need to know. I want to know. I've to know.

Boy is on a mission.
Stefan, Yay or Nay?

Thanks for reading please vote and review.