C H A P T E R 1

It was your first day of practice at Uconn, and also one of your first few days in America. You had come from your home country, France, all the way to Connecticut to play basketball for the Huskies. Basketball was not very big in your country, but yet you were still very known, and news of you made it all the way to Geno Auriemma, who had you down on a list by the time you were in 8th grade.

Nerves raced through your veins as you walked into the basketball facility for the first day of summer sessions. Athletes were required to live on campus for 6 weeks during the summer so they could attend a training camp, preparing them for practices in the fall. One of the biggest worries on your mind at the moment, was your inability to speak fluent English. Obviously you knew a little, and had been trying to learn ever since you made the decision to come to America, but that didn't mean you were confident in speaking and understanding the language. You were also nervous about your skills, and what they would look like next to these girls. Sure you were good in France, but the girls in America played on a completely different level.

You were directed to the women's primary gym/court and walked in, setting your bag down and walking out to the center of the court where lots of people were gathered. Geno instantly recognized you and beckoned you over.

"Ah, Jada! I'm so glad you found us! I was a little worried," he chuckled, patting your back. You bashfully smiled, looking to the ground and fidgeting with your fingers. "This is Jada Verlice," Geno began to introduce you, "She's a freshman and came all the way from France to play with us!" Everyone started saying different variations of 'hi' or 'hello' to you, which you politely returned, before the coach continued. "Her English is not very good right now so everyone please be patient with her and help her out!" Everyone nodded as you walked away from the spotlight, going to stand with your teammates.

You ended up being next to a blonde girl, who you recognized to be Paige Bueckers. You had already met her on a zoom call, since she was going to be your roommate. She gave you a nice smile and dabbed you up before looking back to the coach who was now speaking again.

The rest of the day went well, although it was a little hard and frustrating to understand what everyone was saying. However, you quickly realized that you were definitely on the same level as the girls on this team. You also realized just how nice everyone was and how accepting they were of you, not getting mad at all when you didn't quite grasp what they were saying to you, and more things like that (which you were beyond grateful for). In fact, Christyn and Olivia even invited you and Paige out to dinner with them. You happily agreed and quickly got ready to leave.

You all agreed on going to Panera Bread (a place you had never heard of before) and all piled into Christyn's car.

You were sitting next to Paige in the backseat, and she eagerly started up a conversation, "Hey, Jada, right?" You nodded your head, diverting your attention to her. "Are there Panera's in France?"

"Nope," you answered, shaking your head.

She gaped, "No way, that's crazy! Well we're about to hook you up, don't worry," she said, rubbing her hands together. You laughed, finding her very charming and funny so far.

After you had gotten to the restaurant and waited in line, it was now your guys' turn to order. As Christyn and Liv were ordering, you leaned up on your tiptoes so that you could whisper in Paige's ear (she was only 2 inches taller than you, but still), "Can you order for me?" You asked, a hint of nervousness in your voice. You had always been shy and socially awkward, but especially when you couldn't even read the menu.

"Yeah, of course," she replied reassuringly, then ordering for herself and you.

"What'd you get me?" You asked as the two of you went to go find a table as Christyn and Liv were waiting for the food. "Mac n cheese with a salad and an apple. Oh, also water." You nodded approvingly, earning a smile from her.

Conversation had sprouted once everyone sat down and started eating their food, but you remained silent, choosing to focus on your meal. Partly because you could only comprehend half of what they were saying, but also because you simply preferred to listen rather than engage. You had always been that way, so it was nothing new.

Paige nudged you with her elbow, "You good? You're really quiet."

You smiled, "Yeah, it's ok, I always am," you laughed softly.

"Ok," Paige shrugged, and you were glad she didn't bother you about it, since nothing was really wrong.

The dinner ended up being amazing, and even though you didn't really talk or understand most of the time, you still felt very accepted and had a great time. Paige even earned a few laughs from you.

One thing you were positive about though, was that there was something special about this girl.