C H A P T E R 5

You woke up the next morning, and for a few moments, everything was completely peaceful. Until the events of last night came flooding through your brain. Horror struck through your body as you remembered what happened.

Looking to the side of yourself, you saw a shirtless Paige sleeping with her back to you. Her long blonde hair fell over her pale back gracefully, as her body rose and fell with each breath she took.

You didn't know what to do, or what to think about the situation. All you knew was that you had just moved here, and slept with your roommate and teammate. As much as you liked her, dating just didn't seem like it would work. What if the two of you got in a fight? Or broke up? What would that mean for the team? Or your living situation?

So, following your gut and not really thinking, you quietly crept out of the bed, throwing on some random clothes. You went to your car as fast as you could, and as soon as you shut the door and were in the driver's seat, you let out a breath you didn't know you had been holding. You rested your forehead against the steering wheel, trying to make sense of what was going on.

Guilt ripped through you as you thought about Paige realizing you had left. But there was nothing else you could do, you weren't ready to face that conversation yet. So, you turned on music, and drove.

It was a Saturday, meaning you didn't have practice until later tonight.

With no thought of what time it was or where you were, you kept on driving, simply thinking and watching the road in front of you. Before you knew it, it was getting dark, so you decided to open your GPS and find out how to get back home.

As you picked up your phone, you saw a bunch of notifications, since you hadn't checked your phone all day. But only one really stood out to you.

One message from Paige

You gulped before opening it.

Paige:

are you ok?