part 3: its nice to have a friend

A/N : hey guys!! thanks for sticking around so far! bit of a trigger warning for this chapter; homophobia. not edited!

We had been sitting by the pool for around 5 hours by the time the sun was going down. We were talking, scrolling on socials, and listening to music. Normal things. Edvin hadn't noticed the fact that I was in a shirt, in fact he was wearing one too.

Time went fast at the beach house, mainly because it was the same thing everyday. Fortunately, I was really enjoying it. However, I couldn't help feeling slight guilt. I couldn't put my finger on the feeling, but something about knowing his sexuality before he felt comfortable enough to actually tell me. It stung.

Edvin was actually very sweet and easy to be around. We got to know each other fast, strangely fast. Like we'd known each other in a different life, or were destined to know each other in this one.

So here's an incomplete list of things Carlo knows about him, based off the past week;

1: He is surprisingly good at ceramics, all the arts actually.
2: He plays guitar and was in a band at school, until recently when the other boys deemed it embarrassing and dropped out of it.
3: He has a golden lab at home, but never sees her because of school and holidays.
4: He loves both 80's music and Taylor Swift, which Carlo said slightly clashed and then received an elbow to his rib for the snarky comment.
5: His favourite colour is navy blue.
6: He's not in contact with his mother anymore, at all.
7: He only eats pistachio ice cream, no other favours.
8: He actually enjoys olive pizza, and burgers with pickles. Carlo found this to be the worst.
9: He is somewhat queer, but that one didn't even come from him. Ugh.

I was laid on my back, my arm shielding my eyes from the sun, when I came to the realisation of a perfect plan. Perfect plan for payback.

I would simply pretend to date Edvin. It would prove to Edvin's dad that he was really gay and it would infuriate my own father and utterly ruin his reputation.

It was a solid plan, except for one thing. I would have to tell Edvin that both me and my dad knew. I really didn't want the awkwardness of that conversation. I mean, of course if he were to agree to the plan, everyone would know he was gay anyway. But there was every chance he'd say no. He knew I would at least have to try.

"Edvin, I have a plan. For payback," I said with a slight tremble in my voice. Un-noticeable unless you knew of it.

"You're actually getting.. Revenge? You know how to actually do that.."

"Ha, there's nothing I do better than revenge."

"Okay.. what's the plan?"

I sat up and stared into the water, Edvin followed but looked straight at me.

"There's a lot to say and a lot to ask. I don't really know where to start." An idea came to mind, the burns. They still hadnt healed but it was actually coming useful now. When I had googled how long it normally takes for them to go away it said a week to two, it had been one.

I glanced around and then lifted up the bottom of my shirt slightly, showing the red splotches from my burn. Edvin tilted his head, confused and pretty shocked.

"What? What is that?"

"Er, a burn mark. Look, this morning my dad told me something that your dad must have said while drunk." Edvins heart stopped and he stammered trying to get some words out, he knew that I knew. "He said you were gay, and when I told him he was being a prick I got hot coffee chucked on me."

Edvins blinked and swallowed. He looked at me, flustered and guilty like a puppy dog. "I'm so sorry," he mustered out.

"What?"