chapter 8

It was 8am in the morning. Gaeul was writing stuff into a book. Yujin had just woken up and was at the door of their bedroom.

"What are you doing?" Yujin asked tiredly.

"I'm just planning what to do for the day. We're having the picnic, remember?" Gaeul said.

"Oh, yeah. The picnic. Isn't it at like 11am? Can I go to the supermarket and buy some food then meet you guys at the park?" Yujin asked.

"Sure. Go wash up. I ordered Subway and it's at the coffee table. You can have it as a quick breakfast before we actually eat together at the park." Gaeul said while writing more stuff into the book.

Yujin grabbed the towel hanging on their bedroom doorknob and went to shower. Once she had changed and was busy putting on some make up, she went to the coffee table and grabbed the bag that had her sandwich and drink in it. She then headed out of the door.

Hyunseo was finishing up her shift at the cafe. She was shaking while looking at the clock and waiting for the perfect time to leave. As she was anxiously staring at the clock, she got jumpscared when somebody walked through the door. She put her hand on her chest and calmed herself down before greeting the customer.

"Welcome, may I interest you in our cheesecake of the day?" Hyunseo asked the customer.

"Sure. May I have like a whole cake of it? Plus, 6 large coffees." Yujin told Hyunseo.

"That's a lot, what's the occasion?" Hyunseo asked.

"I'm going to a picnic later with my roommate's friends. I don't want to arrive empty-handed." Yujin replied while drinking her Subway drink.

"A picnic? I'm also going to a picnic later. I'm just waiting for my shift to be over." Hyunseo said with a confused look on her face.

Yujin and Hyunseo's phones had rung at the same time.

KIM jiwony: Hey, is everyone ready? I feel like we should hangout earlier so our picnic will be longer.

Yujin🐶: Hold on, I'm buying stuff.

Leeseo: Yujin?

Yujin🐶: Yeah?

Hyunseo looked up at the customer.

"Yujin?" Hyunseo asked.

"Wait, you're Hyunseo? What's a 13 year old like you doing as a barista?" Yujin asked while putting her phone into her pocket.

"Long story but I basically work to support my family. Are you buying these for us?" Hyunseo asked.

"Yeah, you're welcome. I relate with your story except I'm all alone. I live with Gaeul and have to live off whatever kind of allowance her parents provide her with. Can I get a job here as well? My current job is not going well." Yujin replied while putting her hands on the counter.

"I'm sorry but there's no more space for more employees. There's a bunch of help wanted posters that hire teenagers with minimal work experience. I see that you're struggling more than me. Why don't we split the check? I pay for the coffees while you pay for the cheesecake." Hyunseo replied while clicking buttons on the cash register.

"Oh, no need. I can pay the full price. You don't need to do that for me." Yujin replied while getting money out of her wallet.

"Hey, I understand and relate with whatever you're going through. Let's split it. I'm alright with a couple of dollars as my paycheck at the end of the week." Hyunseo replied while having her hand on Yujin's arm to stop her from getting more money out.

Yujin smiled and paid for the cheesecake. Hyunseo looked at the clock and realised her shift was over.

"Oh, my shift's over. I'll make the coffees and grab the cheesecake from the freezer. You can wait at the door first." Hyunseo said while walking to the 'Employee Only' room.

After a few minutes had passed by, Hyunseo was carrying a bag with 6 coffee cups in a tray and a cheesecake in a box. Yujin lent her a hand and carried the cheesecake box. They both walked out and headed to the park.

Jiwon was busy swinging on the swings of the playground in the park while her newly owned pet duck was waddling around her. She had felt like a child again.

Rei was walking in the park with her headphones on, trying to find Gaeul. She had spotted Jiwon on the swings and went up to her.

"Jiwon?" Rei asked.

Jiwon turned around and jumped. She fell onto the sandy floor of the playground out of shock.

"Rei? What's up?" Jiwon said while getting up and wiping the dust off her shirt and jeans.

"I just noticed you swinging and wanted to talk because I'm so bored while waiting for the others to arrive. Is that the duck you were talking about to me online?" Rei asked while pointing at the duck.

"Yeah! His name is Ji. I just shortened my name and gave it to him." Jiwon replied while picking Ji up.

Rei smiled and petted him.

Gaeul made it to the park and found a nice spot in the grass to set up. She laid down a picnic mat, placed a foldable table and foldable chairs around the picnic mat. She then put down her picnic basket full of food and toys onto the picnic mat and waited.

KIM jiwony: I'm all ready and waiting for you guys. You should be able to find me near the bridge.

Wonyoung was looking at the beautiful view of the lake on the bridge. She read the message and turned around to see Gaeul waving at her. She then ran over to Gaeul and sat down on the picnic mat.

Jiwon and Rei were walking over while Ji waddled behind them. Hyunseo and Yujin were carrying the cheesecake and coffees while making their way to the picnic mat.