But we're band kids

<George is a clarinet and dream is a tenor/quad drum>

<George's pov>

Finally, it's senior year and the marching band season is in full swing. I'm woodwind section leader this year which means I have to herd freshman and suck up to Phil, our band director. Woohoo for being old.

Just like any other marching band season. we have to start off with band camp. Hell on earth is what we like to call it. Three whole weeks of nonstop band during the hottest month of the year, right before the start of school. It's actual torture but we did sign up for this.

I'm at school bright and early on the 4th of August at 7:00am and I'm not happy about it. I'm saying hello to my fellow section leaders because no one else is here this early voluntarily.

I greet Sam, our drumline leader, but he's got a parasite clinging to him. For some reason Clay, throughout his three years of being in this band(he's a junior), has stuck to Sam. Always showing up at the same time and leaving at the same time. Sometimes he even has the same snacks. At first I thought Sam was giving Clay rides. Nope it's just Clay being weird I guess. Anyway, Clay was there too.

"GEORGIE! Aren't you excited for a new season? And section leader woah! Big title. You sure you can handle all that small instrument woodwind pressure? It's lot of work even though no one can ever hear you." He said patting me on the shoulder.
This is when I would've slapped across the face, but I'm a section leader now. I have to set an example.

Oh who am I kidding, I totally slapped him.

"Shut up. Go get Gracie(Clay's drum, yes he named her, yes she's a girl)and get outside." I say laughing as he rubbedhis cheek.

"You're so mean to me George." He pouts "All these years of friendship and you still treat me like this. I thought our life was stronger than this." He dramatically sighs as a walk off to my locker.

Other band members start to flood into the band room and we soon make our way to the field for marching practice.

<lunchtime>

What the hell. It's 98 degrees outside and half the band is already sunburnt. It's been three hours of our first day and I'm pretty sure everyone's beat. Still, we all make our way into the cafeteria to eat our lunch before another couple hours of music memorization and visuals.

"Hey George! I haven't seen you all day. Get over here." Wilbur says from a table in the back corner.
"Yeah because pit gets to stay inside. Talk about unfair." I reply setting my stuff down and taking a seat.
"Hey, I don't make the rules." Wilbur says defensively.
We strike up some conversation about school before I hear the chaos that can only be created by a drumline come down the hallway.
"WOO! Three hours down. 18 million to go. We got this guys." Nick, snare 2, says to apparently the entire room with the volume he's producing. The rest of the drumline is behind him including a smiling Clay and a very disheveled-looking Sam. Clay and Sam soon split from Nick and make their way over to me and Wilbur. Clay is quick to take the spot next to me and place him head on my shoulder. Though it's an awkward move seeing as he is significantly taller than me and has to angle himself weird to achieve this.
"Georgie, I want to go home. Can you take me home? Pretty please?" He asks in a baby voice that makes me roll my eyes.
"You can literally drive. What's stopping you from walking out of here." I say pushing his head off of me just for it to fall right back onto my shoulder.
"But I want to go with you." He says
I don't know what he's trying to achieve from this but those pouty eyes are not helping his case. They are most definitely annoying(really cute).
"Hey George, we should get some ice cream to celebrate our first night of senior band camp." Wilbur butts in and Clay makes an abrupt turn to stare at him. What's going on there?
"Uh, I don't know Wilbur. I don't think I'll have the energy to do anything after today." I respond knowing that the rest of today is going to be brutal.
"Sure just find me at the end of the day. Tell me how you feel about it then." Wilbur says with a smile. Clay turns away, almost grumpy? and I smile back at Wilbur.

<end of the day>

Thank god today is over! I don't know how my legs survived and I don't know how I'm going to do it again tomorrow. Although I'm pretty tired, I think I'm still up for ice cream with Wilbur. As long as he's paying.

I walk off to the percussion lockers to go and find Wilbur when I'm stopped by Clay.

"Uh, hey, so I know Wilbur already asked you to go with him to get ice cream but I was wondering if you'd like to go and do that with me instead." He says fidgeting with his hands.
"Um, sorry Clay but Wilbur did ask me first so— I start to say.
"AS A DATE." Clay says looking at my face. And let me just tell you I am beyond shocked. I knew I was one of the upperclassmen he clung to the most but I would've never guessed that he liked me in that way. But by no means is this a bad thing. Clay's hot as hell. I'm just flabbergasted.
"I- uh." I try to make out words as he stands there waiting for my answer.
"Who is asking someone on a date out here—" Wilbur walks out of the locker area to find Clay and I in this state. It knocks me out of my trance.
"So? Will you?" Clay ask
"Woah woah woah. Slow your roll there buddy." Wilbur says to Clay. "I already asked him out you can just go and steal another person's man like that." He says in my my head I'm thinking 'whattttttt'
"Wilbur, you asked me out? Like on a date?" I ask furrowing my eyebrows.
"Uh yeah," Wilbur chuckles "today at lunch?"
"You meant that as a date?!" I say louder than I probably should have.
"Oh no. No. I'm sorry Wilbur I don't see you in that way. I though you were just asking as friends. I didn't read the situation very well." I say shaking my head, mind you I totally forgot Clay is still here.
"Oh uh, yeah yeah that fine. So no ice cream tonight?" He asks and I start to open my mouth when Clay clears his throat loudly.
"Uh yeah no ice cream Wilbur." I finish and turn back to Clay. I grab his arm ad bring him out to the hallway.
"So I'm guessing no ice cream with me tonight either." Clay says smiling softly(but sadly)
"What? No, I never said that." I say, Am I actually accepting this? I think so.
"Wait, so is that a yes? Georgie will you go on a date with me?" Clay asks perking up like a dog smelling peanut butter.
"Uh yes. I'll go in a date with you Clay." I say letting out a chuckle.
"YES! Suck it Wilbur! I won Georgie's heart." He cheered and did a little dance.
Then Sam popped his head out of the band room into the hallway.
"Damn, I owe Nick 10 bucks." He says before sighing and walking back into the band room.
"What are you guys taking about?" I ask and Clay starts to speak but Nick I interrupts him.
"Clay and Wilbur have been fighting over you for years, dude. I'm surprised you haven't noticed. I was right about Clay winning you over though! I'm 10 dollars richer!" He cheered walking away.
"Uh wow ok." I say turning back to Clay, who still has a huge smile plastered over his face.
"So, you're extra super duper sure you'll go on a date with me? For real?" He asks emphasizing each word.
"Yes, I'm extra super duper sure. For real Clay." I say smiling and his smile gets impossibly wider with each word.
"Ack, I'm so happy to finally hear that." He says as he pulls me in for a hug.
"QUIT IT WITH THE PDA." We suddenly hear from the band room.
"ITS BEEN THREE SECONDS." Clay respond not letting me go.

<ok that was just a little something because I had no ideas. I've been in a writers block recently and so I pulled from life. Sorry I haven't been posting and thank you for the votes! <3 >