Late Nights at the Park are my Favorite

Something about walking along the paths in the crisp, silent air of winter at midnight is so calming. My friends call it depressing and alarming, but I have to strongly disagree. Walking underneath nothing but the stars and occasional street lamps with no distractions is the best way to clear my thoughts and be comfortable.

Expect for tonight. Tonight I had a distraction.

Usually during my walks, no one is in any part of the park. I have it to myself and I like it that way. But today there is man running like he's training for the Olympics and every time he passes me I get even more pissed off. Can't he see I'm trying to be solemn and moody peacefully? What is he doing out here running in the middle of the night for anyway?

He passes me for the eighth time and I've decided I've had enough.

"Hey! I'm trying to have a peaceful walk here and I'd appreciate you not ruining it." I say standing still as he turns to look at me. I put my hands on my hips in the power mom pose for dramatic effect.

"Sorry, did I bump into you?" He says walking up to me. That's when I get a good look at his face.

I freeze up and rub my hands together for warmth and something to make me pull my eyes away from him. I stutter on my words. 'He's really hot.' I think 'like really hot. Ok George snap out of it.'

"Um, no but you're destroying the ambiance of my walk with your absurdly fast jogging." I huff knowing that I'm just being petty.

"Oh, um sorry, is there something I can do to make it up to you? I'm practically done my run anyway." He says clicking on his Apple Watch.

'Ok was not expecting that!' I think as I put my hands back in my pockets.

"I just want to continue my walk in peace." I say looking up at his still very handsome face.

"Mind if I join you then? So I don't bother you with my own walk." He chuckles and I blush. Good thing it's dark out here.

"Um, sure if you want." We start walking side by side and I can feel the awkwardness between us.

"So, what's your name?" He asks hoping to strike up conversation. Nuh uh. That is not how my walks go.

"You're destroying the ambiance again." I say, not even giving him a glance.

"Oh so we're just supposed to walk in silence?" He asks with a scoff under his breath.

"Yes, exactly." I snap and pick up my pace. "You intruded on my walk so we are following my rules." He rolls his eyes at this and matches my pace. Scratch that; he quickens his pace. Oh, is that how you want to play, handsome?

We fight for the lead for some time until he starts to jog again. I refuse to jog under any circumstances.

"That's not a walk." I tell him and he shoots me a playful look from over his shoulder. I stop on my feet and stand there with my hip jutting out. His smile fades and he turns around and jogs back to me.

"You're right, sorry. This is your walk." He says nodding which confuses me. He was just being petty with me and now he's apologizing for basically nothing. Weird.

"Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?" He asks puppy eyes finding their way to mine. Is this guy serious?

"I don't know? What's your offer?" I ask folding my arms across my chest.

"Late night coffee? My treat." He says, his hand extended to take mine.

"Are you asking me on a date?" I ask jokingly.

"Yes. I am." He says in the most serious tone I've heard all night.

"I- um. I don't even know your name." I say trying to make an excuse not to give in to his stupid pretty face.

"My name is Clay." He smiles. "Now that you know my name, will you go on a coffee date with me?" I look back into his eyes. They're richer now. I admire them for a while as he stares at me, waiting for an answer. I regain consciousness of the situation and blush again.

"Sure, why not." I answer after some contemplation. His smile grows wider as he takes my currently extending hand.

"Great! I know the perfect place." He pulls me along down the path and out of the park. We walk the sidewalks, hand in hand, making our way up the road. Clay stops at a little shop on the corner with a small neon "open" sign on the door.

"This place is like my second home. I love it here. Especially on cold nights like this one." He smiles down at me. A warm heart-fluttering smile and he pushes the door open.

"Clay! Didn't think you'd come tonight!" A voice says as I follow Clay inside.

"Yeah, sorry about that." Clay says scratching the back of his neck with his free hand. "I went for a little run in the park. Just to clear my head."

"Oh yeah? Then who's that you've got there?" The person behind the counter asks, gesturing to me. I suddenly feel nervous.

"Um, I'm George." I manage to spit out and Clay squeezes my hand.

"We met in the park." Clay finishes. " We took a little walk and thought we'd get some coffee." He says leading us toward the cash register.

"Sap, can you get me a caramel macchiato with—" he is cut off by the man behind the counter — Sap. "Yeah yeah, I know your order like the back of my hand." He says waving his hand in the air. "George, what do you want?" Clay asks turning to me.

My name rolls off his tongue so nicely that I don't even hear his question. I'm mesmerized by him. All of him.

"George? Are you ok?" My eyes refocus to Clay waving a hand in front of my face.

"Huh? What?" I say blushing again. Please, please don't notice. I turn to look at Sap and I suddenly remember what we're here for.

"I'll just have a hot chocolate. I need to be able to sleep tonight." I chuckle awkwardly as Sap puts our orders into the machine. I take out my wallet, ready to pay for my drink but Clay stops me.

"My treat, remember?" He says giving Sap a 20 and pulling me toward a booth.

"So.." he starts as we're both seated and comfortable. "Your name is George and you go on walks at midnight. What else should I know about you?" He asks.

"There isn't that much, I'll be honest." I say but nonetheless I continue. " I'm 21. I'm originally from England but I moved here for college two years ago and my favorite color is blue. That's basically it." I say, fidgeting with my fingers. I look up to see Clay staring at me like he can't take his eyes off me.

"What about you?" I ask hoping to ease his overwhelming gaze. It doesn't let up at he begins to speak. "Well, I'm 21 as well and I've lived in this area my whole life. I'll have to show you the good spots at some point." He smirks grabbing my cold hand with his big, warm ones. "One other thing about me is that I like boys." Wow ok, straight to the point. "And my favorite color is green."

We continue to chat as Sap brings us our drinks and joins us for a little while. I smile at both of them. It's obvious to see that they've been friends for forever.

Eventually Sap leaves to clean up the shop because his shifts about to end and Clay and I get up from our booth.

"George?" Clay asks "Yes?" I respond rejoining our hands together as we head to the door.

"Do you think I could get your number so we can have more late night walks and coffee dates in the future?" He asks with those same puppy dog eyes from earlier. I smile and blush as I push the door open with my arm.

"Sure as long as you don't destroy the ambiance."

~~1393 words~~

In honor of the holidays, I thought I'd do one set in the winter. Happy holidays to you all! Whatever you celebrate; I hope you have a wonderful time! Thanks for reading <3