Ceramics class

"Clay, come on. I can't go see my hubby without you. I need someone to gush about him to." Sapnap whined, trying to pull me out of bed.

"Sap, go by yourself and talk to him. Then you won't need to gush to anyone but him." I said waving off his attempts at fling my blanket to the floor.

"You know I can't do that. He's too pretty for that. You're coming and you're going to make a shitty ass bowl with me and it's going to be great." With his last word he grabs my ankles and yanks me to the floor.

I let out a surprised yelp as I hit the floor with a thud.

"Alright, asshole. I'll come with." I say, rubbing my hip and thinking about the bruise that is currently forming there. Sap just shoots me smile and I roll my eyes.

After putting on my best pottery outfit(a cute grandma sweater and some warm-toned loose pants) I shuffle my way downstairs. Sap is already standing there eager to see a boy named Karl who apparently works at this ceramics place. It's been his new "hangout" for the past couple of days and he won't stop talking this supposedly cute boy.

As I drive along the road, Sap is already talking about Karl which at this point is not a surprise. It all sounds like gibberish with the speed of his words. I can tell he really likes this guy. Karl better be cute. I can't have Sap simping for another mediocre man and getting his heart broken.

We enter the little store and I'm first captivated by the shelves of molds and premade pieces that lined the walls. The next thing I'm captivated by is the pretty brunette behind the little counter working over a tablet.

"Hey, we're here for the beginners ceramic class. Is it in the back like usual?" Sap asked the boy who startled at the sound of his voice.

"Um, yes. Can I have your names please?" His voice was so soft I barely heard the accent but it made want to crumble in the spot. It was so adorable.

"Yeah, Nick and Clay for 3 o'clock." Sap said and the boy nodded and told us to go back.

I followed Sap to a little room behind a small curtain that had multiple potter's wheels inside. There were a few people already there waiting patently at their own wheels. Sap and I took seats next to each other and waited for instructions. Soon a tall person dressed in a colorful sweater with floppy hair walked in with the brightest smile I think I've ever seen on his face. Sap's breath hitched and I understood immediately. This is Karl. "Good going, Sap." I compliment internally. He's pretty cute. He's not my type though. I much prefer the boy at the counter.

Just then the boy from the counter out front walked into the room and my own breath hitched. Is he teaching this little class?

Sap elbowed me with a knowing look and I rolled my eyes as hard as I could. Looks like Sap and I are in the same boat.

Karl and cute counter boy start to hand out lumps of clay and explain the goal of class. Make a bowl from scratch. Ok, I've got this. Once the run down of the potter's wheel was done we were given basically free rein other than some demonstrations simple techniques courtesy of Karl.

I plop my clay on my wheel and start it up. I press on thumb into the middle like how Karl showed us and made a small hole. I look over at Sap and he is already struggling. Hasn't he done this before?

"Sap, you good?" I ask and he responds with a frustrated grumble. I smirk as an  idea comes to mind.

"Hey, Karl!" I wave my hand in the air and smile at Sap and his wide eyes. Karl makes his way over to me and stops right between Sap and I.

"Nick is just having a bit of a hard time getting started. I thought you could help?" I say to Karl and gesture to Sap who has gone rigid and pink.

"Oh yeah! What's up Nick? It's great to see you back. I see what the problem is here..." I stop listening and focus more on my own bowl.

As time passes I continue to throw my bowl on the wheel. I've had to start over a few times due to flimsy and thin walls. I make the same mistake I've been the entire lesson once again. I put too much pressure on the pinching of the sides of the bowl and it caves in and I grip it in frustration.

"Be more gentle. The clay with respond to the slightest touch. Being aggressive isn't going to get you anywhere." A small voice says over my shoulder, practically in my ear. I shiver as I turn to see counter boy behind me.

"Yeah, sorry I've just been making that mistake for like an hour." I say sheepishly. This is definitely not my brightest moment.

"That's ok, here." He reaches out to my glob of clay and smooths the surface. "Get back to where you've been screwing up and let me see if I can help." I offer him a thankful smile and how my cheeks aren't red at he watches me work with the clay.

Once I get back to a semi-formed bowl with super thick sides, he reaches over to help me. I watch as his delicate hands gentler smooth and thin the clay of the 'bowl'.

"It doesn't take a lot to thin this piece out." He explains effortlessly working the clay into a smooth bowl type thing. Better than mine; that's for sure. I find myself staring at his hands. They are so pretty. Can someone's hands be pretty? They look so soft, I want to hold them.

He stopped woking with the clay and wiped his hands on his apron. I didn't even notice my gaze following until he stood and it looked I was staring at his crotch. I blush and snap my gaze to his face. I notice that his cheeks are a little flushed too as he awkwardly smiles down at me. He walks away after I give my thanks and I go back to my bowl.

By the end of the class, Sap has something that is most definitely not a bowl on his wheel and I have added some handles on the sides of mine. I know they'll probably come off in the kiln but a guy can try.

We take our 'masterpieces' up the front to hand in to be fired and Karl shoots Sap a grin.

"I like what you have going on here." He makes a point to say even if no one is quite sure what Sap made. "Um, thank you." Sap blushed and I roll my eyes behind him. I step around him and come face to face with counter boy.

"Hey, thanks for the pointers. I think mine came out pretty well." I say, handing him my bowl. He takes it gently and I start to fantasize about his hands again. I must hold my gaze for a little too long because I soon see him waving his hand in front of me.

"Sorry, I spaced out." I say shaking my head. "No, it's ok I was just saying that I liked your handles. I think they're a nice touch." He said with a soft smile. "I think you have a nice touch." I think before I can stop myself. Counter boy gives me a puzzled look and I hear a sputter of giggles from Sap and Karl. Oh shit, I said that out loud.

"Um," I say bravely making eye contact with counter boy.

"Well, Clay," he starts while breaking eye contact the moment I make it.

"We'll be seeing you and Nick back for glazing in 2 weeks. Make sure to mark your schedule." He says checking his little tablet.

"You remembered my name?" I ask like a dumbass with hopes and dreams. "It's on my tablet." He says pointing down at the screen. I sit there like an idiot for a second before mustering up my courage.

"Can I get your name? I don't want to be repeating "that cute boy at the ceramic shop" over and over it head for two weeks." I resist the urge to wink and make this even more cheesy that in already is. Instead I just grin when I see his face turn red.

"George." He whispers and the softness of his voice makes my heart flutter. "And could I possibly get a phone number to go along with your name, George?" I ask, leaning in just a little bit because maybe I have a little confidence now. He nods quickly and pulls out a pen and a note pad. He scribbles his number down and hands it to me with crimson spread on his cheeks.

"Maybe you can teach how to be gentle, yknow, one on one." And that's when I know I've hit my limit because I hear a full on laugh from Sap and Karl while George looks at the floor.

I drag Sap to the door and look over my shoulder to see George looking at me. I give him a wink that I just can't hold back and walk out of the ceramics store.

"Um, what the hell was that?" Sap asks as we make our way to the car. "I was just demonstrating how to ask a ceramics teacher out. You should have been taking notes." I laugh as he groans and I get into the car.

I can't wait for glazing in two weeks.

~~1645 words~~

Happy New Year everyone! I hope your 2024 has been going well. As always, thank you reading. <3