Chapter 5

"And you really think this is a good idea?" Fred questioned, a playful skepticism in his voice as he observed his wife's preparations.

Lana continued to organize the groceries he had just brought, nodding with determination. She flashed him a warm smile and gently touched his cheek with the palm of her hand. "Thank you for driving to the supermarket."

"Sure," he replied, returning the smile and leaning down to give her a kiss. "It's your first day off in weeks, and I wouldn't want you to stand in a checkout line full of impatient people on a Saturday."

"I love you."

"And I love you," Fred responded, before he began putting on his jacket. "So," he said, slightly amused, "now I'm leaving my own home so my wife can work on her chemistry with another woman—never thought I'd ever say that sentence."

Lana laughed, a light and melodious sound filling the room. She stood on her tiptoes, wrapping her arms around her husband's neck. "You would've left anyway because you have to work."

"True, but I like to be appreciated," he grinned before leaving their home in Vancouver. It wasn't that different from their house in Los Angeles, and Fred also wasn't always here. He had the privilege to work from wherever in the world, so he sometimes flew from the States to Canada to spend some time with his wife.

As he stepped out, Lana grabbed her phone to check the time—it was 1:32 pm, which meant that Jen was already two minutes late. The brunette didn't mind, though; she used the little extra time to clean the dishes that Fred had left on the table from his breakfast this morning.

The doorbell that rang 10 minutes later made the brunette's heart jump. She didn't know if it was because the sudden noise had frightened her or if she got nervous. Fred's question of it being a good idea came to her head again—not because she was doubting that making pizza with Jen wasn't a good idea after all, but because she really hoped it would all go well and without arguments.

Lana took a moment to collect herself, inhaling deeply to steady her nerves before heading towards the door. She opened it, revealing Jen standing there, a sheepish smile on her face. "Hey," the brunette greeted, her own smile warm and welcoming.

"Hey, sorry for being late. I couldn't find my sugar, so I had to buy a new one on the way here."

"It's fine, come in." The brunette stepped aside, creating space for her co-star to enter. As she closed the door behind them, Lana started to process her words. "Sugar?" she repeated, a playful note in her tone. "I have sugar for the dough. What makes you think I wouldn't have sugar in my house?" Her expression carried a mix of amusement and genuine curiosity. It was then that Lana noticed the tote bag in Jen's right hand, presumably containing the sugar among other things.

"Oh, no, I didn't think you wouldn't have sugar in your house, but this is organic coconut sugar. I always use this one instead of regular."

"Oh," the brunette replied before a broad grin appeared on her face.

"What?" Jen asked, her eyes widening, pupils shifting with nervousness.

"Nothing," Lana chuckled, gently leading her co-star toward the kitchen. "I just think it's very cute that you brought your own sugar to my house."

The blonde blushed immediately, a subtle pink tinting her cheeks. Trying to divert the attention, she reached into her handbag, took out a hair tie, and skillfully gathered her blonde curls into a casual ponytail. The gesture, though seemingly nonchalant, added a touch of charm to Jen's demeanor — at least in Lana's eyes.