Chapter 32

"You look absolutely beautiful," Lana whispered, her voice filled with genuine admiration as she glanced at Jen in the driver's seat.

The blonde's immediately shoulders eased at that compliment, a radiant smile blooming on her lips as she turned her head to meet the other woman's gaze. "So do you," she whispered back, her eyes sparkling with affection. Lana had spent nearly 45 minutes perfecting her hair, creating a stunning blowout that made it look bouncy, glossy, and irresistibly touchable — And Jen couldn't resist. She just had to run her fingers through it, reveling in its softness and the way it framed her girlfriend's face so elegantly.

Lana's outfit had caught her eye as well, from the moment she'd come out of the bathroom. The brunette wore a long mocha brown tube skirt that accentuated her curves beautifully, paired with a matching crop top. Her makeup was subtle yet radiant, enhancing her natural beauty with a soft glow.

"Sweetheart, it's green," Lana chuckled softly, teasing her girlfriend about momentarily getting lost in her gaze instead of focusing on the road.

"Oh," Jen blushed, quickly turning her attention back to driving.

Lana chuckled softly before she reached for her girlfriend's hand, intertwining their fingers and bringing her hand to her lips. "Everything's gonna be okay," the brunette whispered, her voice filled with reassurance and affection, as she placed a tender kiss on Jen's knuckles.

And the blonde really needed that reassurance, especially as they were on their way to her sister's place. Julia had invited Jen over for a barbecue, and the blonde had asked if she could bring someone—Lana. That was two days ago, and now they were actually on their way. Jen was so nervous that she had thought about turning around seven times in the last hour alone.

"She thinks we're coming over as friends," Lana said, trying to calm her girlfriend as if she'd been able to read her thoughts. She squeezed Jen's hand gently, offering a reassuring smile. "We're just going to enjoy a nice barbecue with your sister," she added.

The blonde let out a shaky breath as she tried to steady her racing thoughts. "I know, I just... I want everything to go well."

"It's going to be," Lana nodded, before reaching out and brushing a strand of Jen's curled hair away from her face. "I promise."

A small, grateful smile tugged at the blonde's lips. "Thank you."

"Always," Lana replied, her voice filled with sincerity. She leaned in and pressed a soft kiss to her girlfriend's cheek.

"I'd rather be on the couch watching Pretty Little Liars with you," Jen pouted.

"Depending on when we get back, we'll watch an episode in bed, okay?" The brunette chuckled and put her hand on her girlfriend's thigh, squeezing it gently.

"Just one?"

"Okay, maybe two," Lana's grin widened, her eyes sparkling with affection. "And if you're a good girl, maybe three or four." She leaned in closer, her voice a whisper laced with playful suggestion.

Jen's eyebrows shot up in mock surprise, her lips curling into a playful smile. "If I'm a good girl?"

The brunette's laughter was warm and inviting, causing Jen's heart to flutter faster. "Mhm," she hummed, her amusement evident in her tone.

The next few minutes of the car ride were filled with the gentle hum of the radio and Lana's comforting touch on Jen's thigh. It was a soothing rhythm that helped quell Jen's anxiety, easing the tension that had been building up inside her.

Though about twenty minutes later, the brunette broke the comfortable silence. "Can I ask you something?" she ventured, her voice soft yet curious.

"Of course," Jen replied, her attention briefly shifting to her girlfriend before returning to the road.