Magic | D. Malfoy

Before we begin, I'd like to add that all the reviews I am going to post will be directly addressed to the author who submitted the book. As a reader, you can check out the sample to know how I review stories but I'm not keeping it a third person strictly professional sort of thing.

I have tried that before but I think this time I would like to connect more with the authors themselves and keep this like a conversation. If I reveal too much about the story, apologies in advance to future readers but I can't keep it a completely No Spoiler zone if I have to interact with the author about their story.

Anyway, let's start with the first sample review.

***

1. Title of the story:

Magic | D. Malfoy

As you know, this is the second Draco Malfoy-centric fanfic that I have ever read. When I first got the notification that you were writing this, I was so excited. To me, the title fits as it is a story focusing on the relationship between a Muggle and a wizard. 

I think the word Magic can refer to a lot of things in your story. It can refer to the fact that Draco is a wizard and lives in a magical world. But what I like to imagine is that Magic can also refer to their relationship. No matter how different two people are and how far apart their worlds might be when they are meant to be and fall for each other, they create something magical. hence, their relationship becomes the magic in their lives.

2. Character Dynamics:

This is my favorite part of writing reviews. I love analyzing characters and in your story, there's such an interesting palette of characters to read about! I love all of the characters I have been introduced to so far but I will be discussing a select few that I have stuff to talk about.

Sophia - I love how you have used the metaphor of a princess for Sophia yet managed to make her character have depth and traits other than the princess type. Now you must be wondering what's the princess type. It's just a classification I have made for stereotypes in fiction and the princesses are characters who are naive and delicate with the most Disney princess-like qualities. Some people like to call that a Mary Sue, I call it the Princess Flavia syndrome (there's a whole story behind that which is kinda funny if you've read The Prisoner of Zenda 😅). But you don't have to worry about your protagonist suffering from this syndrome because despite mentioning the princess as a metaphor for Sophia, you have given depth to her. Sophia is relatable, kind, and innocent. And I like the way you have shown her emotions and her personality with glimpses of her childhood. We need more positively influenced main protagonists like her because I will be honest with you, the bad girl main characters are way too overused now. Sophia is normal and that's what I love about her most.

Draco - Ah, the Boy Who Had No Choice. It is so rare to find good Draco fanfics, especially post-war ones. I am one of those Potterheads who are neither a Draco apologist nor a Draco hater. The best part about his character was that he was grey and went through a redemption arc. We of course don't see the redemption arc in canon as the books and films ended before that but I am glad you've picked out the post-war period to show us how Draco was affected by the war and what changes it had on his personality. So far, I like your portrayal of Draco and I just love the thought of reading about this redeemed Draco finding love and a happily ever after.  

Theodore - Theo, the voice of reason in the Slytherin troublemakers group. We have seen so little of Theo in canon that he's almost a blank slate for a writer to work with and I see how you've used that to the full potential. Theo is the type of character you can have most fun with and I noticed that you have crafted him to be the sane one in the trio, the one who is logical and rational but loosens up for the sake of his friends. I like how you have portrayed him so far and well I have a question about him which will come up soon as we go deeper with the review.