CHORUS MORTIS ─── J. Todd

Fifth sample review, here we go! If you are a fan of Jason Todd and want to read a well-written and beautiful story about him, then add this fanfic Chorus Mortis by Autumnrain20 to your libraries. Potential readers, please don't continue further with the review if you don't want spoilers.

***

1. Title of the story:

Chorus Mortis.

The Dance of Death. A fitting title for Jason and Odette as one of them was resurrected and the other a ghost. I used to think Chorus Mortis meant Song of the Dead but then I looked it up on the internet and it does mean the dance, not the song. 

[Note: I am excluding the description review for this story].

2. Character Dynamics:

This story involved only two main characters so reading it was a refreshing change for me. Whenever I read about the Batfam, there are always so many characters to look into. But here all the focus was on Jason and Odette so of course, I will be talking about them only.

Jason - Our favorite cultured Batboy. I love it when authors include the literature-loving part of his personality. It just adds so much more depth to his character and is sort of a justification for why he is so dramatic. I also love the fact that you retained the canon aspect of Jay being able to see ghosts after his resurrection (I don't clearly remember if it was canon or headcanon but it's a nice detail).

Odette - It's always easier to connect with canon characters for me because we already have so much background and context on them. But when it comes to OCs, only a select few writers can write their characters so effectively that the reader feels a connection to them without a prerequisite background or context. Odette was very fun to read and I enjoyed her dialogues most of all. Especially her response to Jason mentioning Sugar Plum in front of her. Loved that.

3. Character Development:

I have seen a positive character development in Jason throughout this story and I love the way you wrote his character. We see the conflict he is going through and we see how he's trying to cope with it so bonus points for that. I also love the connection you made between Jason and Odette such that he helped her gain her peace and freedom, that was a poetically tragic end to read for me but well worth each chapter. 

4. Dialogue and Delivery:

Like I said earlier, I love the dialogue and the character interaction in this story. It flows consistently and doesn't seem forced or artificial. I love the way Jason and Odette talk about the ballet plays and the books they read, it's beautiful.

5. Character Chemistry:

Jason and Odette have a beautiful relationship and it is kinda sad that they are doomed to never be together. While reading the story, I thought about it so many times how different things could have been if Jason hadn't died and met Odette earlier. But then there was a high chance Odette wouldn't have been the same person we see in this story as all that happened to her shaped her as well.

6. Plot and Story Themes:

I love the concept of your story. It was unique and so well written that it instantly hooked me into the story and I ended up reading and then rereading it in one go. While I was rereading it, I picked up on the little hints such as Odette's sister who she mentioned earlier in a conversation with Jason too. Overall the plot and theme of your story makes it a good coffee time read. The references to trauma, panic attacks, unfulfilled pasts, death and reconciliation all add a nice touch to a story that is written with Jason Todd being one of the main characters.

7. Writing Style:

Your writing style is very different from those that I have read. It has a poetic touch to it and even though most of your chapters are short, you describe things so well and include enough dialogue for the reader to stay glued to the book. So definitely a thumbs up from me for writing so beautifully. Also it's a clean romance and with a tragic spin to it so of course I immediately fell in love with the book in just the first few chapters. 

8. Areas of Improvement:

So far I don't see any areas of improvement in the writing. I would advise you to make a good cover for your fanfic and include a description inside the book so that more readers will be able to add your story to their libraries. I have noticed that on Wattpad, descriptions matter as most readers will overlook stories if they don't have a proper description. Some readers like me who want the element of surprise would click on the story nevertheless. but mostly a description increases your reader outreach.

9. My Personal Opinion or Ideas:

Song recommendations:

Ballet Girl by Aden Foyer for Odette. The first time I listened to this song, I was so moved and I feel like it is made for this story and the character Odette plays.

Burning House by Nico Collins for Jason.

Comethru by Jeremy Zucker for Jason and Odette.

Rescue Me by One Republic for Jason and Odette.

10. Concluding Remarks:

I love this book and it has my heart. I am glad to say that almost all Jason fics I have read on this site are good and I can include yours on the top of the list. Your story was short, poetic, effective, and beautiful. I wish more people would read it so that you can get all the love and recognition you truly deserve.

***

Autumnrain20 I hope this review met your expectations. I think you were rewriting your story a few weeks prior so I look forward to reading the edited and rewritten version. I would be obliged if you take a few minutes to fill a feedback for this review.

Link to the form that I'll also add in the comments section: https://forms.gle/AfUdLCWXkEtR4JyU6

Have a great day and I look forward to reading the rest of your work.