18

Miles had an away game, so he's been away for the past few days. Luckily, Amber and the girls are here to keep me company. I had the option of going and working, but with the look, Emma gave me as I was replying to the email with yes or no, I had to choose no. There was too much catching up to do.

Miles had begun to revolve around my life, coming over after practice or me going to his place. I hardly had a chance to be with just the girls. It worked well that Amber's man would be gone, with mine.

"Well, I didn't know that she was going to show up when he was fucking me doggy," Emma exclaimed, pacing around the carpet in front of the couch.

We had decided to stay in and get wasted on wine, or WOW. We each bought our own bottles and had the longest straw known to man inside, and let me say that wine goes a lot faster with a straw.

Riley crossed her arms, "did you know he was married?"

"Yes," we all immediately groan, "but he said they were separated and had been for months. I thought I was in the clear."

"Clearly not," Riley mumbled, sipping on her fancy-looking bottle of Muscat. I don't know how she drank such dark, bitter wine.

Emma groaned, lying on the floor with her head flat on the carpet, "I don't understand how Thing One and Thing Two bagged two amazing men, and there's not one for me."

I laugh at her nicknames for Amber and me, "Maybe you need to take a trip back to the country singers instead of married men."

"I would hate to steal Riley's spotlight from her."

Riley snorts, "Fuck that. I fuck the drummer or the guitarist. You can have the girly singers."

"Amber's not even listening to us bickering. She's got a grin on her face as she looks at her phone," Emma says, making all of us look to the lounge chair where she lies, indeed smiling at her phone.

I stand up from the couch, stumbling to the lounge chair, "Ambs, want to share what you're grinning at?" I peek at her phone screen and see her texting away with Caleb, who's saved in her phone as Pookie. "I wish you were here," I read off her screen as she typed, "Emma won't shut the fuck up about how jealous she is of our relationship, and I'm about to yank my hair out."

Emma gasped, "She did not say that."

"Yes, I did," Amber says, making me double over laughing. "You're so damn annoying about boys. It's always Boys. Boys. Boys. It makes me wonder if you even like men, always talking about them."

My eyes widened, and I stepped away from Amber as Emma glared at her, her face reddening every second. "Fuck you, Amber. Why do you always have to ruin everyone's fun whenever we do something? Such a fucking buzzkill." She stokes off into the kitchen, and I don't dare glance at either of them but look to Riley, who's just as stunned as I am.

I walk back over to my spot on the couch and pick my wine bottle up; I desperately needed a new buzz after mine sobered every once up. Amber made a good point. Emma always talks about men, but I've never seen her bring one back to the apartment. She's always going over to 'his' place. Her comments about our boyfriends are outrageously annoying.

I glance over to Amber, who happily sits on her phone, not caring how she ruined the night for everyone.

I sigh, standing up and walking to the kitchen where Emma stands, fanning herself, trying to make herself not cry. "Emma," I begin to say, but she cuts me off.

"I'm sorry. I'm on my period, and my hormones are fucking horrible. I might say something mean, and you might want to leave me alone for a few. I'm going to my room." With that, she stocks off to her room, wine bottle in hand, not looking back.

Riley walks into the kitchen, her mouth gaping, still in shock. "Fuck, dude. What the hell?" The wine is making this situation a lot worse.

I bite my lip to keep from laughing, but I can't help it. I run to the end of the hallway into my room to prevent my roommates from hearing my snickering. Riley follows me into my bathroom, where we both belt out in laughter. "Another reason why Amber could never have lived with us. She gives no fucks."

I slide down on the floor, leaning against the cabinets as Riley takes the wall across from me. "Anyways. How are you and lover boy doing?" She asks, and I look up at her, confused if she is actually curious or just joking. "I'm serious, dumb ass. How are you two?"

I laugh, "Oh, fine. It's nice to have a small break from the hot, steamy sex. Besides the encounter with his ex, we've just been vibing."

"Do you regret not going to Philly?"

I shake my head, "honestly, he's probably glad to get rid of me for a few days. He's been eating, sleeping, breathing me for however long."

"You don't think he's gonna like," she lowers her voice, "cheat?"

I think about her words. I don't think he'd cheat. His ex cheated on him; I don't think he'd do me dirty like that. "Fuck, I can't even think straight right now." He's the most desirable man in America. He can have any girl he wants. "I'm calling him."

I pull out my phone from my shorts, seeing no missed calls or texts from him, but maybe he replied, and I have yet to answer. I don't know. I FaceTime him, letting it ring.

And ring.

And ring.

He finally picks up as he walks away from a crowd of people, "Hey, babe. You good?"

"Hey," I drawl out, my eyes barely open because I'm smiling so wide.

Riley peeks over the screen, "Mi-Mi, Juju says she misses y'all's hot, steamy sex."

I laugh as Miles swears with a grin, "You and your dirty mouth. Do I need to find headphones? Cause this whole place just heard that." We both laugh, and I bring the wine bottle to my lips and take a sip from the straw, "I've got so many questions right now."

"Lay 'em on me."

"Why are you on the floor in your bathroom? Why are you drinking a bottle of wine out of a straw? And why are you drinking a bottle of wine by yourself?"

"I'm not drinking a bottle of wine by myself. Riley has one, too." She brings her bottle up to the screen so he can see.

"You know what I mean. Actually, I don't know if you know. You're drunk as fuck."

I laugh, "As if you haven't been drinking. I can taste the smell of whiskey through the screen."

"Prolly just you, sweetheart." Ass. I seriously need to see his book of comebacks because he's so quick with the replies.

I roll my eyes, "you're a jerk. I called you because my roommates are being jerks," Riley coughs, "except Riley. She's the only nice one right now."

"Oh, so there is a reason you called. Tell me all the tea."

I tell him the story of our night, getting slightly sidetracked as Riley knocks her bottle over, spilling the contents onto the floor. "What's even worse is that Amber is sleeping in my bed with me, and she doesn't cuddle like you do."

He laughs, "Well, I'll be home tomorrow night. I'll come see you after we get back. I gotta go. Turner keeps staring at me. Sleep tight, Angel."

"Bye," I say, hanging up and looking back to Riley, "I don't think he's cheating."

"Good, 'cause I actually like the guy. He's good for you."

We sit in silence, silently sipping on our wine contently. I've forgotten why we are lying on the bathroom floor, but I'm too comfortable to move. "Are you even gonna settle down, Ri?"

She stares at her black almond-shaped nails, "I don't know. I figured I'd know to settle down when I meet the right guy. Till then, I wait."

I don't respond as I take in her words. Till I meet the right guy. I spent two years waiting for someone, but how do you know if it's the right guy?