CH 2

"Oh yeah, I usually don't speak French during hockey. I mean with people whose first language is like English, you know?" A tipsy Liliane says to drunk Luke and Dawson. Dawson had become quiet because of the alcohol in his system, yet he was nodding along with everything she said.

Luke had become talkative and very into their conversation about when Liliane actually speaks French. Turns out, she speaks French to herself all the time, but never to other people unless they're fluent. It makes her confused if they mess up something.

"Woah. A wave of exhaustion just hit me like a bus. I'm going to go sleep on the ground in Dawson's room." Luke said as he struggled to get up. Dawson huffs as Luke walks into Dawson's room. Liliane leans her head against the couch behind her as Dawson does the same.

"The floor is so comfortable right now." Dawson mumbles. Liliane hums in agreement.

"Oui, c'est le cas." Liliane says back. She knew she spoke French, but she didn't have it in her to care right now. She was sitting on the ground with her back against a couch with Dawson Mercer. How was she to care about anything?

"Your French sounds so pretty." Dawson says as he gazes at Liliane. She smiles as she looks back at the tired-looking boy.

"Merci, Dawson." Liliane says. Dawson's eyes sparkle when she says his name with a French accent. The two gaze at each other until Liliane's phone buzzes. She looks down at the notification. There was an ESPN headline about her.

Former Montréal Canadien, Liliane Auclair has started to practice with the New Jersey Devils and is expected to play against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Former. Précédent.

It's just not a word she's used to.

"You're playing against the Blackhawks? Sweet!" Dawson says as he reads the headline on her phone. Then she gets a text message from a friend on the Canadiens.

It read: Salut, Lili. Amusez-vous lors de votre première pratique. Je sais que tu vas faire des choses incroyables.

"What does that say?" Dawson says as he try's to read the text from the girl's former teammate, Pierre. Liliane begins to speak with a shaky breath.

"It says, 'Hey, Lili. Have fun at your first practice. I know you're going to do amazing.'" Liliane says with a frown. Dawson notices her sad mood and moves towards her, grabbing her hands.

"Hey, I know you're sad, but you have to remember that you can't dwell on the past. We play them all the time and I promise you will get to see them." Dawson says with a smile. Sparks flew when Dawson touched her hands, at least for her. From what she's heard, Dawson is like this with, if not all, most people. It's not special for just her, not like the things her friends used to do for her.

"I'm going to go home." Liliane says softly. Dawson frowns as Liliane starts to get up.

"Did I say something wrong? I'm sorry if I did." Dawson says as he walks with Liliane to the door of his apartment.

"You didn't do anything wrong. I just need to go to the comfort of my bed. We have late practice tomorrow right?" Liliane asks. Dawson nods as he watches her walk out of the apartment.

"Bonne nuit, Dawson." Liliane says as she walks down the hall to the stairs.

"Goodnight, Liliane." Dawson says back to the fading shadow of the girl he wished he didn't upset.