CH 3

Later that night Liliane was laying in her bed, the one that doesn't feel like home. She didn't think about her practice, she didn't think about her home, she thought about how Dawson thought her being upset was his fault.

She sighs as she pulls her phone off her nightstand and pulls up the team group chat. She scrolls through the people in it before she finds Dawson. She clicks his contact and presses on messages.

DAWSON MERCER

hey, dawson. what happened today
wasnt your fault. i wasnt in the
best mood after seeing the text,
i just miss my friends

hey liliane. you just seemed more
upset after I tried to comfort you, that's all
i'm glad it's not my fault though, real
bad first impression

i get it. i promise it wasnt you
and we should hang out again to make
up for me leaving tonight :)

totally :))

Liliane smiled at her phone. She was already in so deep with Dawson, but that didn't matter to her. She believes in love at first sight, so maybe this is what that is, for her at least.

Liliane placed her phone back on her nightstand before turning onto her side and sleeping dreamlessly.

Dawson, on the other hand, stayed up a little later than she did. Before we went to sleep he pulled up his app store and downloaded Duolingo. He was going to learn French, just for Liliane. He didn't know how long it was going to take, but he was going to do it.

Before Dawson decided to go to sleep he quickly pulled up Google Translate and searched: how to say goodnight in French.

Bonne nuit. Goodnight.

Liliane had said that to him once before, but he didn't know what it meant. He was already learning for her. He pulled up his and Liliane's messages and sent her one last one.

LILIANE AUCLAIR

Bonne nuit

...

Liliane didn't see his text until the next morning. She responded with good morning instead of good night. She smiled at the use of correct French by the boy.

Dawson saw her good morning text the moment it came through. He smiled at his phone as he read the good morning message.

The two walked into the locker room about the same time, Luke with them because he was staying at Dawson's apartment. Liliane and Dawson immediately strike up a conversation, followed by Luke randomly joining in, trying to understand the small bits of French Liliane uses.

"I saw your bonne nuit message. I wasn't expecting you to send me something in French." Liliane says, slightly impressed by the older boy. Dawson shrugs.

"Maybe we'll have to hang out more so you can get to know me better." Dawson says with a smirk as he pulls on his gear.

"Je suppose que nous le ferons." Liliane says, trying to figure out if Dawson knew what she was saying. He's never questioned her French before. He stands there nodding.

"Totally." Dawson says with a sheepish smile. Liliane smiles and laughs at Dawson's clueless expression.

"You used a translator, didn't you?" Liliane asks. Dawson nods with a disappointed look on his face. Liliane laughs.

"You should teach me French, Liliane. I can learn it and we can speak together on the ice, in French." Dawson expresses. He thought it was a good idea. To have a way of talking that no one else can understand on their team.

"Teach you French?" Liliane asks, like she didn't understand the first time. Dawson nods hopefully. Liliane sighs.

"When would we have time? We have practice basically everyday." Liliane says. Dawson hums.

"We could go to and from practice together and learn in the car? We could also message each other." Dawson suggests. Liliane thinks for a second.

"We should text rather than doing it in the car. Too many distractions." Liliane says. Dawson's smile grows and his eyes brighten.

"Really?! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Dawson practically launches himself at the girl, wrapping his arms around her tightly.

"Je t'en prie, Dawson." Liliane says with a smile. Dawson pulls away from her with a smile.

"Okay, first lesson, what does that mean?" Dawson asks. Liliane giggles at the boy.

"It means you're welcome. It's the more formal way of saying it. The non-formal way is de rein." Liliane teaches. Dawson nods along to every word.

"Merci." Dawson says with a smirk that Liliane finds all to attractive. Liliane's cheeks turn a faint pink as Dawson walks away.

"Girl, you are down bad for him already." Luke says from next to her, scaring her in the process. Liliane jumps as she whips her head over to Luke.

"I know. Je crois au coup de foudre." Liliane mutters the second part to herself. She goes to follow a couple players out the door of the locker room, leaving the confused Luke behind.

...

"We should go skating. No hockey, just the uncomfortable rental skates and us." Dawson says to Liliane as they walk out to the parking lot together. Liliane thinks for a moment before responding to Dawson.

"We should wait to do that until they have an outdoor skating rink with the christmas trees and lights." Liliane says. Dawson nods with a smile.

"It would really get us in the christmas spirit." Dawson agrees. Liliane nods as she breaks apart from Dawson to walk to her car.

"I'm going to text you later. Be ready Mrs. Auclair." Dawson laughs. Liliane calls back to him.

"I'll be waiting." Liliane says with a smile as she makes it to her car. She gets in and takes a second to compose herself before starting the car and driving home.