A Few Weeks Later

Phil's POV
I'm sight my worried about Dan. I constantly see him pushed into lockers and called names. He doesn't look thrilled about it. He seems mad and sad and just fed up.

But I think today was different. I think something else happened. He didn't meet me to walk home. I waited for a half hour until I decided to walk home alone. His bag was sloppily thrown against the inside of the door. His bedroom door was closed and locked. He didn't answer my calls or texts from school. At fifth period his mood has dramatically changed since lunch. He was mad.

He was more than mad, he was infuriated. What had happened? I didn't want to be ride or over step so I didn't ask. I just hope nothing serious happened and he'll be alright.

"Dan? I'm home." I say to his door. No response. I sigh. I go into my bed room. It's been a couple weeks, and he's situated pretty well. Right now Martyn is staying with a friend for some reason. We've pretty much gotten into a schedule.

We get home and focus on our homework until we get hungry. Then we eat dinner and sit in the couch or play a video game. Then Dan takes a shower and goes to sleep. I prefer showers in the morning, but Dan isn't much of a morning person.

I've finished all my homework, and it's seven. "Dan, do want dinner?" I call to him. "No, I'm going to take a shower." He says back in a weak voice.

I start going through our microwaveable dinner as he jumps into the shower. He usually sings, but what I hear is weird. Sobbing? Is he crying?

I had never told him I could hear him singing in the shower. He probably assumed I couldn't hear him. I walk over to the door, and almost knocking, k decide against it. I don't want to barge in.

Instead I stand and listen to his crying. It brings tears to my own eyes. He has so much pain in his sobs. What caused this? And why won't he tell me, over the last month or so I thought we were really friends. "Dan?" I ask through the door. I hear his crying stop and him sniffle a bunch. "What's wrong?" I ask. "Nothing." He says in a weak voice. That's why I didn't want to ask. I was afraid I didn't want to get shot down.

My dad used to cry, when I was younger. I always asked Martyn first, but he shot it down. Then I asked my dad one night. He had slapped me for asking.

"Dan please." I pleaded. "Nothing's wrong." He says. "Dan..." I trial off. He doesn't respond, but he's still crying. I slide down the door. 'Dan please tell me what's wrong. Open the door, I know something's wrong.' I think.

The shower turns off, but he doesn't come out. So I sit there, wondering what he was doing.

Dan's POV
I guess I was a little mad at Phil, for not being there. Then my parents for sending me to the retched school. But I was mostly mad at Rick the quarterback for beating me in that ally.

He had threatened me at lunch. Telling me, 'all fags must die.' And then he followed through with the threat after school. I didn't want Phil to see, so i left before he did. I kind of felt bad. I didn't know he would be able to hear me through the shower. After the shower, I put on the same jeans and shirt. They were the same that I wore the first day I met Phil. What a good memory to ruin, Rick. I hadn't worn the beanie, and it didn't stink of blood and sweat. I guess it was good luck.

I had a sore eye and bruises on my back and side. I also had a busted lip. I had found myself biting at the wound. Picking up lip biting huh?

I slid down the door and sat against it, crying. Too afraid to go outside of the bathroom. I guess it was because k was a coward. That's what Rick kept yelling at me while he beat me. I had never been the one to fight back. I was always a nice kid, even when provoked. I'm a nice person, even with insecurities. I like to think of myself as fair and not mean. So I didn't fight back, I may have been a coward, but that took bravery and self control. But i was still afraid.

I didn't want Phil seeing me like this. He was my best friend, I didn't want him worrying for me. I knew first hand what worry could do. It drove my family across the country to worry and take care of my sick grandfather. I didn't want Phil going through any of that.

I felt like I had always been different. From the first day of school....

~~~~~~~~~~•3•~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry for the sad chapter!
Thanks for reading!
Opinions? Vote?
What do you think will happen next?
Thanks!