Chapter 9: No Goodbyes, Just See You Again (Part1)

LONGTAE

Around a little after 4am, I finally succumbed to sleep after hours of silently crying, taking care not to alert my father.

Thinking, rethinking and rewinding the things that happened the last 5 months. Coming home broken hearted, befriending Sand, healing from the pain and without noticing falling in love again.

Sand is a caretaker by nature. He is warm to everyone around. He's like a ray of sunshine to everyone in the village. Always ready to help heal what he could, always ready to soothe aches, bumps and bruises. Yet he had remained alone, on his own. Except for when he is with me.

To me, Sand had listened to all my nonsensical mumblings, fondly gave in every time I wanted something and had taken pleasure in spoiling me. But were those actions really meant for me?

Recalling that first time we met, he had called me Ray and the guitar he had in his grip slipped. He saw in my face his dead lover. How much of it all was meant for him? How much of it was truly mine?

Startled awake when a gentle hand touched my head and I sat up to find Sand sitting on my bed.

Still fighting the urge to close my sleep deprived, swollen from crying eyes, I mumbled "Sand? What are you doing here?"

"Good morning. I came to find you but Chief said you were still asleep and asked me to check if you were okay as he is not used to you not being up at this time" Sand responded.

"What time is it?" I asked him.

"A quarter after 10am" he replies after checking his watch.

"What about your friends?" I queried.

"Nick and Ton left after we had an early breakfast. Ton has a schedule early tomorrow so they have to make sure to get to Bangkok tonight" Sand answers gently.

"Are you alright Tae?" Maybe finally noticing my swollen eyes and puffy face. Oh... remembering now that Sand doesn't know that I know about Ray.

"Just having a headache. Couldn't sleep properly" I answered.

"How about taking a walk with me? Fresh air and exercise might help and you can try to sleep again after? I prepared some food" Pointing at his backpack.

Nodding, I got up and told him to wait outside while I washed my face and changed.

Following Sand absent-mindedly I had not noticed that he had taken me back to the lake. The memories of that wonderful kiss swirled in my head and my eyes watered unbidden because was that kiss meant for me or Ray?

Sand called me over to sit down, much like the last time we were here. Only this time, the food was simpler, just sandwiches, a few chips and a thermos of tea he said

"You haven't had your breakfast. Eat this," Sand in his usual no nonsense but caring manner, handing me some packed sandwiches.

Not really having an appetite but I accepted it nevertheless and obligingly took a few bites as Sand hummed in satisfaction and looked over the sparkling waters.

"Tae... there's something I wanted to talk to you about," he begins gently.

Between the big bite I had taken regardless of the sandwich tasting like dust in my mouth I muttered a noncommittal, "hmmmmm?"

"Do you remember the name Boston called you?" He asked me.

"He called me Ray, like you did that night we met in Pha Pun Dao Cliff," answering him as normally as I could make it sound despite the thorn I felt in my throat at finally giving voice to the name that is striking so much apprehension in my heart.