The Final Chapter: I Love You

LONGTAE

Sand and I had spent the majority of our time together, growing closer and forming a stronger bond. The only times we were apart were when I was working, and during those moments, Sand would tend to his errands and spend time with his friends.

As the weekend approached, Sand and I prepared to attend a dinner with his friends. The venue was Top's recently refurbished restaurant at the Legacy Hotel, prompting us to dress up a bit for the occasion.

Upon our arrival, everyone was already present. Wanting to take a call from my father, I urged Sand to go in ahead of me.

Once inside, I was warmly greeted by everyone and settled down between Boston and Sand.

"Sand, you mentioned introducing your boyfriend. Where is he?" inquired Mew.

Engaged in conversation with Boston, I paused, feeling a sudden freeze within me.

"He's right here," Sand replied.

Momentarily disoriented, I realized the surprise in Mew's eyes as they landed on me. Sand noticed this and their gazes met. Top and Cheum mirrored similar expressions, a mix of pity and shock.

In an abrupt move, Mew stood up and gestured for Sand to join him outside. "Let's talk," he said before leaving.

Confused, I glanced at Boston and Nick, seeking answers, but they could only shrug. While Top rushed out, Cheum remained seated, her gaze fixed on me.

"Are you really dating Sand?" she asked, her expression conflicted.

I smiled and nodded. Cheum appeared torn and perplexed.

"Cheum, tell us what's on your mind!" demanded Boston.

"I'm sorry, Tae. I am not sure this is a good idea. I care about you a lot and don't want to cause any harm. But you do know you resemble Ray, right?" she stuttered. Despite the discomfort of the situation, I maintained my composure. I hadn't anticipated disapproval from Sand's friends, especially when things seemed to be going well between us.

"Sand and I have already addressed this matter between us. We've moved past it. I understand your concerns. I had the same doubts, which led me to leave Sand in Pha Phun Dao Village two years ago. I wanted him to be certain of his feelings, whether they were about me or merely a reflection of Ray. Sand made efforts to move forward as well. It's unjust to judge him for falling in love again with someone resembling his dead ex boyfriend. Please, don't accuse him of using me as a replacement; it would deeply hurt him. He spent three years in the mountains sorting through his emotions. He deserves your trust," I earnestly appealed to Cheum.

"I've witnessed them together, Cheum. You know I'd be the first to object if necessary? Ray was my childhood friend. Sand genuinely cares for Longtae," Boston intervened.

"Are you not concerned for Ray Ton, Nick? It's as if all the positive aspects meant for him are now with Longtae. Better friends, a promising career, and even Sand! We all know how deeply Ray felt for Sand! I already feel regretful for my role in Ray's demise... I hurt for Ray because there's a healthy doppelgänger living the life that should have been his," Cheum broke down, and Nick embraced her.

"We're all reminded of Ray when we look at Tae, and at some point, we used that to make amends, but Longtae is a whole other person. Sand comprehends that," Boston remarked with clenched teeth.

Despite recognizing the validity of Cheum's sentiments, tears streamed down my face. It was painful to hear, yet I empathize with her.

"Cheum, I'm sorry if you feel I'm seizing the life meant for Ray. I never intended that. I am simply Longtae, who met Sand and fell in love. Later, I discovered the resemblance to his ex who had died. I left Sand because I doubted his feelings, but he proved himself. I regret if my relationship with Sand began where Ray's ended. It's a cruel twist of fate that we resemble each other. When I met all of you, I just liked all of you. I didn't think to replace or live Ray's life by being your friend. I genuinely like you and your quirkiness, Top's always serious face but actually good heart, Mew's quiet but steady presence, Nick's gentleness and nerve's of steel and Boston's often brass and loud but very caring and sentimental attitude.. I liked you all for the people I got to know not because you were Ray's friends. I am Longtae, forging my own path and meeting you as new friends, not some ghost," I sincerely expressed.