Chapter 11: Sand's Heart and Longtae's Fears

LONGTAE

All the villagers and forest rangers had once again gathered to bid me farewell on my departure. Sand sat among Doc Nam, Phupha, and Tian just quietly observing the camaraderie.

Rang complained how little time we've spent together, and I affectionately reassured him that I wouldn't take as long as I did before returning for a visit.

My father's reassuring presence strengthened my resolve to do what I needed to do, so I was able to happily say goodbye to everyone.

As the party wound down and everyone made their way home, only Tian, Phupha, and Sand remained. Tian took me for a walk, expressing sadness about my leaving and concern about the true reason behind it.

Embracing Tian, I assured him that everything was fine between Sand and me. I emphasized that I was departing for work, not due to a broken heart. Sensing I wouldn't disclose more, Tian held me close, offering ongoing support. Tears welled in my eyes, and I thanked him for his unwavering presence. Tian had unknowingly helped me through so much, even without knowing about P'Ton or the complexities with Sand.

Phupha affectionately tousled my hair and promised to see me tomorrow as he would be driving me to town where the buses were.

Finally alone with Sand, it had been a few days since we'd spoken in the lake. He'd been rather subdued, though we still shared lunches. However, the late evenings were spent with my father, Tian, and Phupha.

"Do you want me to drive you to town, Tae?" Sand asked.

Shaking my head, I smiled. "There's no need, Sand. Chief Phupha needed to go anyway. I prefer to say our goodbyes tonight."

"Do you want to go to the cliff? You mentioned missing it when you arrived. It might be a while before you can come back," Sand suggested.

He was thoughtful, remembering small details like this. Perhaps it was a fitting way to part, returning to where our story began. I nodded, and we walked toward the cliff. Along the way, Sand had taken my hand into his and I let him. The night sky glittered as brilliantly as ever. It was serene and breathtaking. Sand remained silent beside me, yet his touch was warm and reassuring. Neither of us shared more about our plans after my departure; it felt as though we'd silently agreed that more words weren't necessary, having expressed everything necessary at the lake.

I'd envisioned visiting this cliff with the man I loved, counting stars together. Well he is here now but I guess we won't be counting any stars tonight. Sand's profile appeared pensive yet beautiful. His melancholy adorned him in ethereal beauty, making it painful to contemplate his  future absence from my daily life. I'd only kissed him twice and held his hand like this, yet his memory seemed indelibly etched into my being.

Silently, we walked back, hand in hand. Once again, we reached the crossroads between his hut and mine. Sand's eyes were watery but he had not let the tears fall. Somehow, the shine of the unshed tears made his lovely doe eyes so much more beautiful.

"Sand, I'm going now," emotions choked my voice.

He simply nodded, not uttering a word.

"Goodnight, my favorite Guitar Man," I smiled and turned to leave.

"See you soon, my little ShutterBug," he smiled softly and walked away. 

Tears streamed down my face, but I smiled. His endearing nickname lingered in my mind. 

Sand, I hope it won't be too long.

******

Returning to Bangkok, Jenna graciously offered me a place to stay until I found my own apartment. The bustling sounds of the city, contrasting the quiet of my village, felt jarring. Yet, I swiftly settled into a comfortable routine at work. Surprisingly, the working environment under Jenna's management was excellent. There were only two other senior photographers and three juniors, each assigned to a senior. Everyone was amicable, and the staff were both efficient and kind. Soon, I found an affordable apartment I adored. It had a cozy room, a small living space, and a kitchen. The balcony, drenched in natural light, won me over, and I adorned the space with beautiful plants and flowers. Life in Bangkok this time around was far more fulfilling than during my university days and those devastating years with P'Ton. I had friends, a job I cherished, and a small apartment that felt like home.