One

30 minutes earlier.

This woman is the bane of my existence.

"So, anything else I can help you with today Mrs Goldman?" I ask, clasping my hands together on a polite smile. Mrs Goldman's snarkiness always makes me overly polite. As does nerves. And I feel nervous, on edge, an anxiousness hovering over me that I can't explain. As though my body is trying to warn me to prepare for something. But what? I have no interviews coming up, or dates - definitely no dates - but my ribcage still feels like it's filled with panicked birds all the same. Maybe I've just had too much caffeine.

Mentally I count how may steaming black mugs I've consumed today: 4 average sized mugs. Too much, but average for me so it can't be that. My body's used to dealing with far more cups of coffee than that. It feels like either something really bad or really good is going to happen, and soon and I'm going to be unprepared to deal with either. I don't deal particularly well with the unexpected, I never have. I like plans, and neatly ordered diaries.

Mrs Goldman isn't helping - my most trying patient and a busybody of epic proportions - she comes to me purely to back up her own theories about what's wrong with her because she already knows it all. Clearly I'm getting better at dealing with her though because I haven't had to count to ten once since she came through the door.

"No, Doctor, I think that's all. Although, I should say that the last time I called I had to wait almost 10 days for an appointment. 10 days! I mean anything serious would have killed me by then wouldn't it?" she says accusingly, as though it's my own personal fault that waiting times in England and Wales are way beyond unacceptable. She stands and peers down at me through hard grey eyes. I stand too. She makes me feel less like a silly little girl when I'm level with her.

"Yes, that is a while. Waiting times are still a challenge for us," I tell her in what I hope is a diplomatic tone. "You know that's partly why we started the drop-in surgeries. The waiting times can vary so much - its good to have a bit of flexibility," I nod. She purses her lips into a thin line, her deep hyacinth lipstick standing out bright against her powdered skin and gives me a little admonishing smile as she starts toward the door.

"Yes well... Should I just make my appointment for the nurse with Anna?" she asks as she slips her prescription inside her sturdy leather handbag that looks like a weapon. Instinctively I move to the other side of her, away from it.

"Yes that'll be fine, I'll walk you out," At least if I walk her out I might have a chance of getting home by 9pm. "I'll call you as soon as the bloods come back - please try not to worry," I tell her quietly as we walk towards the empty waiting room. Anna looks up from her post behind the desk and gives me a thoughtful knowing smile. "Anna if you could make an appointment for Mrs Goldman for Jane for sometime that suits that would be great," I turn to Mrs Goldman and smile, trying not to look as exhausted as I feel, "so I shall see you soon, and by that time we will know much more," I nod. "And if Bill's headaches persist please ask him to call and make an appointment. As you know I do a late surgery twice a month, and Monday I do house calls so I could pop by and see him at home if that's better suited,"

"Yes, Doctor, thank you. I will. I've told him it's because he's taking too much on at work, and at his age you know? I've always said that company will be the death of him. You couldn't persuade him to think about giving it up could you? Say it's bad for his health or something?"

I laugh softly. "You really think he would listen? Anyway, Bill's in great shape, he runs, plays golf and looks after his heart," What I'm actually thinking is that living with this woman must be aging him rapidly but I just continue to smile instead, head tilted to the left in understanding. And anyway, we don't choose who we love do we? Mr Goldman's soft jovial manner must contrast perfectly with her prickly abrasiveness. It must. There have been stranger pairings I'm sure, though I'm struggling to think of any right now.