Sixteen

Robyn calls me on my office line first thing on Tuesday morning catching me completely off guard. She never calls my office line, which should have been the first indication.

"Why didn't you tell me you were seeing someone?!" Her voice is a little shrill and a lot accusatory.

"What? I, I'm not? What do you mean?" I stutter.

"Dan saw you with some guy last night Al, he said you looked like you were in love or something!" she shrieks. Oh god. The blood rushes to my head and my ears. I can actually feel them burning. "I told him it couldn't have been you because you're my best friend and I'd know if you were in love or something but he was adamant. And now that I hear your voice I'm inclined to think he was right to be adamant."

My heart jerks in my chest like it's just been defibrillated. Dan saw Jake and I. What are the bloody chances? When does a thing that's not a one-night stand become more than a thing? Was it when your best friend's fiancé sees you kissing the thing outside a restaurant?

I really need to stop calling Jake a thing.

"Where was this?" I ask tentatively. Of course I know where it was. I'm just trying to buy myself time to formulate an explanation / excuse that she will understand / buy.

"Oh come on Al, you know perfectly well where. At the Docks. Are you saying it wasn't you? Dan mistook you for someone else? I told him he should have come over and said hello but he said he didn't want to interrupt. Then you got in the guys car and drove off," She says. She makes 'drove off' sound like 'stamped on a puppy'. I begin to feel guilty but defensive. Why couldn't this just be something I kept to myself until I figured out what it was?

I try and ignore the part of me that wants to keep it to myself, and the part that doesn't know what it is. I'm wondering why of all the places in all of London, Dan would happen to be there at that time. It's a law of probability I can't even get my head round. It doesn't matter now though. She knows.

"Well..??" she presses.

I need to tell her. It was stupid to think I could keep it a dirty little secret. As exciting as dirty little secrets might sound to some people, it doesn't really appeal to me. Anyway I don't want him to be that. I really don't. I take a deep breath.

"Are you busy tonight? I'd rather talk to you in person about it all," There's a few seconds of silence on the phone before she speaks.

"I'll come over about 7. See you later then. Bye.," she says abruptly and then she's gone.

Well this should be fun. She'll come over and demand to known why I kept this from her. Why did I? I think maybe if she knew the full story, about how we met here that night when he was hurt, and the club ruse, then there's a chance she would understand the why of hiding it. But I can't tell her that without spilling Jake's secrets, and one of my own - treating a knife injury without reporting it.

Just before lunch Anna buzzes through to me to tell me there's someone in the waiting room asking to see me who isn't a patient. By the girly lilt to her voice, I know immediately that its Jake . So he obviously has that effect on women in general then and not just me, which is sort of comforting I suppose. I stand up and get ready to chastise him for coming to my office without an appointment but then he walks in, and like always all rational thought leaves my brain. It turns to syrup as usual - warm, sticky and slow moving.

He's wearing his usual casual orgasm inducer of a t-shirt, Jeans and a pair of ray bans. He takes off his sunglasses as he comes in and before the door has even closed behind him fully he's on me, kissing me hard and pulling me into his warm hard heat.