Six

I finally find Robyn and Leigh back at our VIP booth, having scoured the lower level, which was even busier than it was before I disappeared into the corridor with Jake. As I approach, they're laughing loudly and sipping on champagne from what appears to be another freshly corked bottle of Jake's finest. Matt's friends are still buzzing around them, and one of them looks at me curiously as I approach glancing behind me for his absent friend. Rob waves excitedly when she sees me coming.

"Hey dancing queen," She says throwing her arm around me. Leigh moves in too and immediately starts fiddling with my hair.  I wonder if I have Jake on it.

"Hey. Listen, I'm really not feeling great - must be that disgusting Mercury shot. I knew I should have avoided it like the plague." I hold my hand to my forehead for effect. "I'm going to call it a night. Sorry."

It's pathetic but I need to get out of here and home to the comfort of my house and my cat and my own bloody smell - to some place normal and a lot less surreal. In truth, what I'm really doing is running away. It makes me wonder if it's so he can chase me.

"What? Nooo!" They both shout in unison. "You'll miss the surprise DJ He's on in like 15 minutes - it could be anyone!" Leigh pouts.

"Aw, yeah come on Al! Stay out for a bit longer!" Robyn gives me the puppy eyes, the ones she normally reserves for Dan.

"Hey did you go for a dance with Matt before? Where'd he go?" One of the guys says coming up to snake an arm around Leigh's waist. What to say? The unreasonable bizarrely jealous owner thought he was trying to mount me so he threw him out? I decide to do a variation on that.

"Oh, yeah he wanted me to say he was calling it a night. Too much to drink he said," I shrug and turn my attention back to the girls. "The DJ is Aleksa. But honestly, I don't feel too great. I'm dizzy and it's far too hot and I really don't want to have to throw up in the toilet in a place like this. It'd be so unbecoming." I smile. Lying to my friends that I'm ill is also unbecoming but at this moment I don't care. Can he see me from here too?

"Aleksa?! Seriously? How do you know?" Handsome guy asks me.

"Oh, I heard one of the members of staff talking. Sorry to ruin the surprise," I smile apologetically. I turn back to Rob and Leigh. "I'm really sorry girls. I've had a great night. I just don't want to regret it tomorrow. You guys stay and have some fun. Some expensive, free fun," I add. They don't look too happy but they'll get over it.

"OK but I'll walk you to the door - I need some air anyway. Leigh will you be ok here?" Rob inclines her head towards the guys and Leigh nods. When she leans over to hug me I whisper for her to watch her drink, which earns me an eye roll and a reluctant nod.

"Leaving so soon ladies?" One of the male maitre'd's asks as we get to the front door. It's not any of Jake's cohorts, it's a new pretty face who smiles warmly at the two of us, lingering longer on Rob.

"Just me." I tell him.

"Aw that's a shame. Well can I call you a taxi?" he offers. Slightly stunned I look at rob who looks equally impressed. Good service. Jake certainly doesn't do things by halves. I accept his offer, giving him my name and he goes into a locked door behind him as Robyn and I wait just outside the main door. There are still two lines on either side of the main entrance, and they seem to be operating a 'one out - one in' system because as the pretty guy comes out to tell me my car is on its way he holds up one finger to the doorman on the left.

As we wait for the taxi to arrive Rob asks if I'm okay, adding that I do in fact look a bit peaky. She tells me to drink a pint of water and take two ibuprofen before going straight to bed as though I'm not the medical practitioner of us both.