First chapter

Hiii!

So this is the first official chapter! Thanks to everyone who made it here after reading the prologue :)

Just as a little info, every chapter starts with a letter from Kyra to her son, which she has written since his birth.
It's just to give the readers a little insight in what has happened in their life so far (and hence the title: dear son).

Another Tw in this chapter for bullying!!!

(If I ever miss any TW please comment so I can add them)

Anyways I hope you like this and thank you for reading!

Best wishes,
Scratch on your screen

.

.

.

.

.

Dear son,

Your uncle Nico has been insufferable all week. Send help.
Every day now he has forgotten to take his ADHD meds and... let me tell you I pray that you will never see him like this.
He talks faster than lightning, constantly blows up sinks and toilets and every break he has a new hobby (first paper plane making, then crocheting, on tuesday he managed to build a small house out of toothpicks and so on, I don't even know where he gets all the materials from). I made him promise he would pick up new medication at the pharmacy on saturday, then the suffering will end.
At least I still got Felix. He's been sticking with me through these difficult times, even though the whole thing annoys him to a whole other level. He's sweet.
Anyways I should get back to class. Can't wait to see you when I get home!

With all my heart,
Your Mom

The beginning of the school year was always rough.
It was still hot as balls outside, my sleep schedule was fucked up and the fact that I had to go back to school was the worst part of it all. It was my junior year and I was already bored out of my mind, so I didn't really get why I still had to go there. College would have been a hundred times better!
Less annoying fifteen year olds running around and screaming, only selected courses to visit and a lot more self-studying. My absolute dream. And I could finally focus on what I really wanted to do: study biology.
But no, two more years of this hell hole called high school.
Would I survive it? We'll see.
"Heyo, sleepy head?", there was a knock on my door and my mothers familiar voice, "Do you want pancakes or waffles for breakfast?"
She sounded a bit too happy for my taste, but she would never pass up on an opportunity to tease me a bit. Especially when it came to things like the first day of school. Ever since I started highschool, she would always show me pictures from the time I was a lot younger and a lot more excited about the first day of school.
Yes, I used to be a nerd and no, my mother would never let me forget about it.
"Waffles are fine-", a yawn interrupted me, but my mother seemed to have heard me just fine.
"Alright, give me a minute!"
As soon as the sound of her steps ceased, I got up. The blinds stayed closed, there was no sense in opening them now anyways. Snatching a couple of not too smelly clothes, putting them on as I made my way downstairs.
The sweet, warm smell of waffles was already in the air when I walked into the kitchen, making my stomach growl in excitement. There was nothing better in this world than my moms cooking. I would pick her food over any gourmet chefs. A dish made by mom or Gordon Ramsey? Gordon could kiss my ass, I wouldn't even look at his food.
"Mornin'...", my cousin's voice drew my attention away from the waffles and to the table, where my best friend and cousin had already taken a seat.
He was in his usual seat, hair messy and shadows under his eyes, looking the exact way I was feeling. Giving him an unenthusiastic nod I sat down next to him, slumping forwards so I could rest my head on the table.
Neither of us said anything, but it wasn't necessary, we were both thinking the same thing: Fuck this morning. Fuck school. And fuck everything.
We weren't negative people generally. Well, he wasn't. I tended to be a bit less optimistic than the average person, but going to school was something we both hated with the same burning passion. The teachers, who didn't give a flying fuck about us, the other kids we had to be nice to, the subjects we did not really care about and the fact we had to be there from eight in the morning until late in the afternoon was just not what we wanted to do with our lives.
There were so many other (a lot more useful) things we could have done with our time, like hunting monsters for example. Or working on a better defence system for the town. Or prep for college. Basically anything we weren't able to do while sitting in a hot, overfilled, noisy classroom.
"Come on, you two! Sit up, it's time for breakfast."
Mom put down two plates in front of us, the heavenly smell of waffles two inches away from our faces was enough to wake both of us up. I grabbed the nutella before Luke even lifted a finger, which got me a more than annoyed huff and a middle finger in the face. All I did in response was chuckle and put a lot of nutella on my waffle.
"Thank you for breakfast, Mom!", I said, chewing on a big piece.
"Yeah, thanks, Kyra!" Luke agreed, finally having the nutella for himself.
My mom just hummed something, while making the next batch. I almost wanted to ask her if she could use some help, but remembering that under no circumstances was I allowed to do anything in the kitchen. It was a long story involving a lot of burnt food, broken dishes and an almost explosion. After a while it was decided that I was not going to be a cook in this lifetime and it was better if my mom and Luke handled the kitchen stuff.
Luke was on his second waffle, when I checked my phone.
7:30 am.
"We need to leave", I stood up, causing Luke to look up panicked, half a waffle in his mouth. I laughed. "Finish it in the car!"
In two steps I was around the kitchen table and over by the sink, where mom was washing off a dirty bowl. I gave her a kiss on the cheek.
"See you tonight. If I survive this day."
"You have survived worse."
It sounded like a joke but it wasn't. During the summer break alone I had had about four near-death experiences. One of them particularly near death. But I was still alive, it just wasn't my time to go. Maybe today though.
We said our goodbyes before going our way.