Eight chapter

Hii!!

This is a filler chapter, but AFTER there will be TWO interesting ones with LOTS of stuff happening and NEW characters, who will be introduced.

Yeah, I hope you'll like it honestly. So just skim this one, I don't think I even have to give TW's for this one...

So yeah, see you next chapter, when it get's interesting.

Good night,
Very symmetrical ruler

.

.

.

.

.

Dear son,

You had your first real training today. I showed you some basic rules and some theoretical stuff and let me tell you: You are a natural!
I know you're only five and a half years old, but you move with such elegance. As if you were born for this (You kinda were, since both of your grandparents are the gods of war).
Oh, I can't wait to see you make progress and learn more. You already expressed interest in another training session tomorrow afternoon. Of course I said yes, because if there is one thing I can teach you, then it is how to kill some bitches.
But I'm sure you will get better at this than I am in no time.
I love you so much!

With all my heart,
Your Mom

The first thing I did when I woke up the next morning was sent an alert about the dead hellhound on Garbage Disposal Life. It was an app and service run by children of Dionysus and its main service was to get rid of dead monsters. Basically the people killing or seeing an already dead monster sent them a message with the location and what kind of monster it was, so the crew could bring the fitting equipment.
And why the children of Dionysus? They were naturally good at cleaning up. Partying hard, but also restoring the party location back to its former glory the next morning. The city noticed their talent and hired them in exchange for a very nice sum of money. Sometimes the Hermes kids helped out as well, because they were extremely good at transporting things.
But only a minute after I sent out the alert, I got a message back saying that they had already been informed of the dead hellhound and were on the way to go clean it up. Great, at least one thing Atlas could do.
Groaning, I got up. It felt like I had gotten a sledgehammer to the head last night, but that was probably the result of the shots yesterday. The stabbing pain between my ribs on the other hand stemmed from being thrown around by a four metre tall dog. At least my hands were properly bandaged, which meant that Nico did not just bring me to bed last night, but that my mom or Lucy had taken care of me as well.
I didn't bother changing out of my bloody and torn up clothes before going downstairs. It was still dark in the living room, there were balloons and confetti all over the place and some half full plates of cake spread around every surface. In the corner of my eye I registered movement on the couch.
It turned out to be Gaia buried underneath a blanket and Luke sitting on the floor, his head leaned against the couch with his eyes closed. Even after everything that went down last night, it was enough to make me smile. I took a snap of it and sent it to Luke and Gaia (Luke had downloaded it on Gaias phone and explained to her how to use it. Win win situation, because now I got tons of cute animal pictures).
Not to wake them up, I decided to go to the kitchen and wait there. I could also get something for breakfast. Or I could get a coffee. The thought of actually eating something made me feel sick. Wow, I really went overboard with those shots last night.
"Up so early?"
I flinched and turned around to where my mom was sitting at the table, almost dropping the pack of milk I was planning on drinking. That hangover really impaired me in so many ways. Slow thinking, headache, nausea and now I couldn't even see properly.
"Yeah... uhm, sorry for worrying you yesterday. I was just... nervous about ageing, I guess. You know, I'm seventeen now. Only one year until I'm eighteen." It was a sad attempt at lying and the nervous chuckle definitely gave me away. Usually I wasn't this bad at lying, but I just couldn't do it to my mom. And she could read me like a book anyways.
"Cut the crap." Mom took a sip of her coffee. "I get it if you don't want to tell me what caused you to break our mirror and then escape through a window, just sit down and have a coffee with me."
Well, shit. Sitting down with my mom after I did something stupid was my weakness. The more time I spent with her, the more I wanted to tell her what was going on and she knew that. She had always been a good player.
I did it anyway. It would be rude to refuse and also I really, really needed that coffee. So with a hot beverage in my hand I sat down next to my mom. In silence. She really didn't say anything, just sipping her coffee and staring at the wall. And it was working.
Only a minute later I was already thinking about last night. I wanted to tell her how I killed that hellhound with just a glass shard and that Atlas had been a total ass and that I had been severely drunk while doing all of that. Oh, fuck it. I'll do it.
"Mom" She turned her eyes to me, a crooked grin on her lips. Yeah, yeah, you get your way mom. "I killed a hellhound yesterday."
Her eyes grew wide and she put down the mug, a sign that I had her full attention. "What? But all the weapons were still here when you left! And weren't you drunk as shit? Tell me everything!"
So I did. I left out the details of why I broke the mirror, but as promised she didn't ask any questions about it. To my satisfaction she seemed to be very impressed by my killing a werewolf with only a piece of broken mirror.
She was not so happy about Atlas being there, rolling her eyes at everytime I mentioned his name. We both agreed on the fact that he was an ass and that we should eat the rich.
"So... you had the best birthday ever?" Mom asked jokingly.
"Mh, I still like my seventh birthday the best. The one where we all went to the water park and Zayn was scared of the waterslides, Nico used his powers to make us slide way to fast and traumatised Zayn even more, Luke and I got lost and then you found us at a bar getting free ice cream, because Luke told everyone it was my birthday and I had cancer..."
"Oh gods, yes!" Mom laughed at the memory of that day. "You two were so unpredictable back then."
"Hey we still are?" I tried to look serious, but my moms really-bitch-face made me burst out into laughter.
"Please, all you do is focus on school and training. Now I'm not saying that is bad, but you could use some fun every once in a while! Do something crazy, go to a party, total a car-"
"Mom, I love you." I stopped her, before she went on to any crazier suggestions. "But what is wrong with you? How are you not in jail yet?"
"I have been. Multiple times actually. You even once bailed me out with Nico when you were about a year old." Unbothered by the info she just dumped on me, she kept drinking her second cup of coffee.
It's unbelievable! I've known this woman my entire life, she was part of my DNA and still she managed to pull some random shit out of her ass that I've never heard of before. What kind of life did she have before she had me (or before I was old enough to remember stuff) and how did she do all of that before the age of eighteen? I would never be able to meet those kinds of standards.
After everyone who stayed the night was more or less awake, we gathered in the living room. Gaia and Luke didn't even bother to move, they just stayed right where they were.
Mom and Nico sat on the armchair together, Nico on the actual seat and mom on the armrest with her legs spread across Nico's lap. I sat down in front of the coffee table, which was still stacked with gifts since I had left before that part of the evening.
The gift unwrapping took about half an hour, because my family had found a way around the one-gift-policy. My mom, as mentioned, always gave me four, then Luke and his family all bought separate gifts so it ended up being three and Nico brought two under the excuse that he was very bad at counting. The only one actually following my instructions was Gaia, who brought me a big watermelon from her garden, saying it technically wasn't even a gift.
I mostly got useful stuff like leatherbound notebooks, expensive pens to draw with and some sweaters. Even Mom's gifts were reasonable this year... or so I thought. Something to read was a copy of the bible (she had gifted me several bibles over the span of my life and she always thought it was the funniest shit ever), something to wear was a brown sweater with dark blue and green dinos on it, something I wanted was a set of expensive water colours and then there was the something I "need" gift. It was definitely not something I needed and I couldn't hide it fast enough.
A hot pink bottle of lube with words like "hot", "steamy" and "give it to me baby" on it.
As soon as I had realised what it was, I put it behind my back, my face burning as if I had just eaten the hottest chilli pepper in the world.
Of course I wasn't fast enough and mostly everyone had seen what it was. Nico started laughing uncontrollably, slapping his knee and leaning against my mom. Mom was just sitting there with a mischievous grin.
"Oh my god!" Luke was laughing and giggling like this was the best thing to ever happen to him. "Kyra, you're fucking evil."
"What did she get him?" Gaia asked, while trying to get a glance at the lube behind my back. No way I would let her. This was so fucking embarrassing. But of course Luke was merciless and told her anyway.
"Lube! She got him lube!"
"Ah yes..." Gaia mumbled just as confused as before.
Finally I had regained my ability to speak and looked at my mom, but the expression on my face just made her laugh more. I probably looked like an angry tomato.
"What the fuck? I don't need this!"
"Maybe not right now, but you're seventeen now! You will need it someday, believe me."
Dear gods, I hoped not. I never even thought of sex or even kissing someone. So really doing it was far from anything I was on in the next... years.
To my relief we moved on quickly, Nico had to go home and water his plants (they were dead, but he always denied that) and Luke went to bring Gaia home and then spend some time with his family. The perfect opportunity for me to go and hide my lube in the drawer of my nightstand where I hopefully never had to take it out again. After placing all of my other gifts where they belonged, I went downstairs again to help my mom clean up the mess that was left.

Monday at school didn't turn out too bad. At first it did, because it was monday. But during my lunch break there was an announcement from principal Sanders that cheered me up immensely.
"Dear students, I am very pleased to announce that this year's first tournament will take place on the friday of next week. The trial will be a game of capture the flag with four teams. More information will follow by the end of this week. Have a good rest of the day."
As soon as I heard the word tournament I pulled out my phone and texted Luke. This is what we had been waiting for since the start of the year and finally our moment had come. A chance for some fun at this school.

'Did you just hear that?'
'A freaking tournament!'

Luke was already in the chat, typing an answer when I sent the messages.

'And capture the flag too! This is going to be awesome!'
'Hopefully we'll be on the same team.'

I had already thought the same thing, but the teaming in these events were unpredictable. Sometimes it felt like they put us together or separated us for their own entertainment. So the question was: Did they want to see who would win a fight or did they want to see us demolish all of the other teams together?

'I hope so too, but if not then we can still be in first and second place.'

'I'll smoke you!'

Chuckling, I put down my phone. I liked his confidence. But if we were allowed to use our powers, then he would probably have a fair chance at winning. Most tournaments were held without the permission to use godly powers, mostly because it would be boring and it was supposed to show our fighting skills.
But then there were exceptions of course and this tournament was very likely going to be one of them. Capture the flag was always played in the artificially created piece of forest. It had rivers, small lakes, different kinds of trees and even some bigger rocks in it, so people with powers were in a more challenging environment. In there it was a lot more interesting than in a two by two square with nothing else surrounding them.
With a bit of luck I would get to see Luke frying some people.

.

.

.

.

.

Did you like it?

Thank you for reading!