Second chapter

Hii,

There is not much explaining I need to do before reading this chapter.

Except for please love Nico. He's my little baby😭

And once again the TW for this chapter: ED (more implied half mentioned), abusive relationship (once again half mentioned) and death of pets.

Anyways, I hope you have fun with this!

Have a good night,
Your unpaid bill

.

.

.

.

.

Dear son,

Nico has been crying non-stop for the past two days.
First it was because of your birth. Everytime he held you he would burst out into tears, saying how cute you are over and over again (can't disagree with him on that one, you are adorable). And now he's bawling his eyes out because I asked him to be your godfather. Of course he said yes, I hope you will agree with this decision once you're old enough to make them. Or realise what a nutjob your uncle actually is.
Apart from that not much has happened. I've had to stay in bed and can't really do anything. If you ask yourself why, it had to do with a certain someone having an unusually large head. Kidding, not your fault at all.
Anyway I have to get back to consoling your now godfather. He's making a mess on my bed.

With all my heart,
Your Mom

Nico showing up for dinner wasn't a big surprise. He tended to show up without any invitation or warning, but my mom didn't mind. Neither did I.
Nico was like an older brother that moved out for college, but still comes back home every now and then, pretending like he still lived there.
Actually Nico did live here - twice. The first time was when he bought our house when I was about four years old. Before that my mom and I had lived with my grandparents while she was still finishing high school, but soon after that Nico had miraculously saved up enough money to buy a house for all of us and we moved in. I later learned that the money didn't really just appear in Nico's bank account, but that he had been the weed supply for half of the school and made decent numbers with it.
He moved out after getting a well-paying job on the other side of town. That was when my mom started paying him back for the house, so it was then technically ours, even though Nicos name is still on the contract (it was just easier that way).
And then the last time he lived with us again was two years ago after a rather rough time in our lives. Mom was doing shit and I... I was a dumb teenager in the bloom of teenagering, so I wasn't really any help and Nico stepped in.
So all in all he was a great guy and we were more than happy to have him over and feed him. Mom was sure he didn't remember eating most of the time, due to his severe ADHD.
"Kya, what do you think about me buying  a cat?", Nico asked, rocking his chair back and forth. He was half turned around, trying to see what my mom was thinking of his idea, but she was facing away, focused on the meal she was preparing.
"Nico, we both know exactly what will happen to this cat", my mother paused, then added, "It will die."
It was a commonly known fact that Nico was not able to keep anything alive for longer than a day (that's the longest his attention span was able to last).
His hamster in second grade? Dead.
A goldfish in a pretty well made tank? Dead.
Plants? Dead.
A fucking cactus? Dead.
The only thing he ever managed to look after for longer was me. Probably because my mother would have killed him very slowly and very painfully if anything ever happened to me. And also because I was able to communicate my needs by the time my mom ever let him babysit me for more than two hours.
So the survival chances of a cat? Rather low.
"No! I know I don't have the best track record but-"
Nico wasn't even able to finish his sentence before the wooden spoon landed right on his forehead. Not hard, but just hard enough to make Nico rub over the red spot and whine about it.
"You never let me have fun!", he complained, pouting like a ten year old.
My mom just chuckled, shaking her head. She had a long time to learn how to handle Nico best. They had been friends since kindergarten and never seemed to have a bad day. To me it was absolutely fascinating. They always seemed to know what the other one was feeling or what they needed and in these sixteen years of my life I had never seen them fight. Some bickering and annoying each other, yes. But no ground breaking, friendship destroying fights, which was pretty astonishing considering that they were total opposites.
As soon as the food was on the table, Nico and I started eating. My mom on the other hand went right back to the kitchen, starting to clean up the mess.
"Mom!"
"Kyra!"
The warning tone in our voices and the knowledge that we had already dragged her to the table more than once in the past, were enough to make her sit down next to me and reluctantly put food on her plate. Satisfied, Nico and I gave each other a short nod, then returned to the spaghetti.
"So, Percy, how was school today?", Nico asked.
I thought it was a serious question, until I looked up, being met by Nicos wide grin. Oh yeah, we can play it like that. I cleared my throat, so I was able to speak in a higher voice than usual.
"Oh, it was great, uncle Nico! I learned soooo many new things, definitely didn't get into any fights and made a new friend!"
My imitation of second grade Percy made both of the adults laugh. Might have had something to do with the constant voice cracks. My mom shook her head, she knew most about my day already, since I had told her everything the minute I got home.
"And now tell me what actually happened!", Nico demanded.
"I didn't learn shit, I almost had to beat someone up and Luke and I did meet someone new, but I don't know if she's a friend yet."
The last part got Nicos attention. Of course it did. He had alway been very interested in my social life, probably because his consisted of exactly one person: my mom.
Unfortunately for him I was the exact same. I had one friend, Luke, and that was it. No other friends necessary. So before Nico could ask anything about it, I said:
"Listen, if she turns out to be a friend, yey, but if not, then it's okay too. She'll just stick with us for a few days, because she's new and apparently all the kids in our school are allergic to new students."
The memory of the incident after school still made me mad and every time I thought about it, it only got worse. At first I had found Gaia's reaction funny, all the swearing and her gestures, but then when I was back home, I had started to analyse the situation and realised what a fucking dick I was for almost laughing in the first place.
It had been Gaias first time in a highschool, which already had to be overwhelming as hell, but it didn't stop there. She also had no one to talk to, no one to show her around and then on top of all that she was punched by a guy just for sitting in a seat that he usually sat in. That was shit and honestly she had great self-control for not just yelling at Luke and me. I surely would have.
So to make it up to her, I would make sure today wouldn't happen again. She would fit in eventually and find her own friends.
"Okay, okay..."
Nico gave up his interrogation and the rest of dinner we spent in silence.