District 7 <3

Act II

The difference between District 7 and the Capitol was the air. The minute you got off the train it was fresh. It didn't feel stale as it blew on your face, the cold nipping at your nose causing your cheeks to flush. You look to Treech who was climbing down the steps, his bag in hand alongside yours. "I can take my bag!" You say reaching your hands out to take it off of him. He quickly draws back. "No way. You struggled getting them up the steps on the train. I'll carry them." He sharply stops you jumping down from the steps. He exhales looking around the train station.

The difference between here and the Capitol was that most of the carts weren't for travel, but for export, with large crates attached to each of the trains filled with wood and different types of furniture labeled: Textile. You frown as you noticed the dirt of the platform too. Young children were working in fours, hauling large logs of timber up into the trains before running back to repeat the step.

"So where are you supposed to be staying?" Treech asks raising a brow. He then looks behind you and then behind him. "You know, since you're supposed to stay here permanently."

"I'm not sure, there's an address but I don't know where it's going to take me..." you murmur out flipping the ticket over to look at the address. Tentatively, Treech reaches a hand out taking the ticket from between your fingers. "I can take you here, it's not far from my home either. It's in the woods though, so I guess you're gonna be exposed to even more of our district." He chuckles before turning on his heel. "Cmon Y/n! Let's go!" He calls. You quicken your pace falling into step besides him.

"This house-" "cabin, it's a cabin." He interrupts. "We aren't in Capitol anymore, there aren't any houses here other than the occasional one the Capitol will build for some lucky family." You nod your head slowly. It would be difficult to grasp this you thought as you look at your feet.

Treech begins to turn right, steering you both down a rocky path towards the woods where one small cabin stood out to you. You take a deep breath at the sight of it. It looked homey, made of oak wood, with twigs and hay forming a roof. The windows had been delicately crafted creating pictures swirling with different colours just like the apartments you had once lived in the- You shake your head. You're not in the Capitol anymore. You need to stop thinking about it. As you approach the cabin, you turn to Treech nervously.

"Don't be scared did it say if you were staying with someone or, you were alone?" He asks his gaze still on the cabin squinting slightly. "It doesn't say.." you whisper leaning closer to Treech and stepping behind him. He simply shakes his head placing the bags down on the bottom step before climbing up, and racking his knuckles on the door.

After a moment, the door swings open, revealing an elderly man, his clothes were similar to Treeches, but what caught your eyes was his cane, a dark oak with intricate patterns swirling it. And then, his eye. A deep dark line cut through half of his face blinding one eye, and revealing part of his teeth and gums. His hair a deep gray, he smelled heavily of smoke.
"This the girl?" He gruffled out turning his gaze from treech to you. "Who are you?" Treech asked raising his eyebrows. "Her guardian fairy obviously." The man scoffed hobbling down the steps. He leans down picking up your bag before taking a careful, good look at you.
"Any good at chopping wood?" He spits out.
"No.. no sir I've never even-"
"Jesus he's giving me the... fine. I'll show you tomorrow. Say goodbye to your little..  boyfriend and I'll set your room up." He rolls his eyes, even with his hands full managing to use his cane to get back up the steps and slam the door.

"I don't feel good leaving you with that guy." Treech says his eyes still on the door. "We don't have much of a choice here treech." You say your eyes going to his face as you take his hands gently. He looks at where your hands were intertwined. "I'll.. come see you later tomorrow ok? You could maybe escape here for a bit, come to my cabin." He says hopefully, his eyes moving to your face as he squeezes your hands. You nod your head letting out a hum. "You know I would love too." You smile. "Maybe you can show me how you make those little statues." He lets out a huff of amusement. "If your hands aren't blistered and bleeding from using an axe, then sure." He pauses, unsure for a moment before leaning in pressing his lips to your head.

"Please, be careful, if anything happens tonight you run." He says gently letting go of your hands to pick up his bag. You nod your head, feeling a sense of sadness rise in your stomach.
"I'll see you tomorrow Y/n." "You too Treech." You watch as he turns away beginning to walk further down the rubble filled path towards the woods even more.

You take a deep breath deciding to enter the cabin, as you enter, you notice how neat the cabin was. With pots and pans hanging over the stove, a small bookcase filled with books and some goods from the Capitol on top of it. The man is sat at the table cradling a cup of coffee and a cigarette between his fingers. "Your rooms first on the right." He mutters staring out the window. You simply nod, but then, you stop yourself realising the man hadn't given you a name. "Excuse me, but.. what should I call you?" The man turns in his chair staring at you. "Jay." He mutters. "Dinner will be ready at six. Sharp. If you're not there then your dinner goes to the dogs,  understood?" You straighten your back silently nodding your head again. "I understand..." as you turn away from him, heading to your room.

As you enter its small, much smaller then your room in the Capitol. It's got one small twin sized bed with your bag thrown on top, with two pillows, and white sheets that looked untouched, and dusty. It was next to a window, this time one without any painted panes and story's depicted. A desk lay to the right of the bed with paper and pens, and then, a small wardrobe. You could feel tears begin to bubble in your throat as you realise how homesick you felt.

You take a seat on the bed letting your fingers rub the soft sheets, one of your hands coming up to rub your eyes from exhaustion, and sadness.

————————————————————————

How lovely of mr Highbottom to stick you with a crusty old man 💕 but he's kind of slay. And he will be even more as the story continues ☺️