The world is quiet.

As you walked into the woods, the trees were similar to the ones from district 7, bright and green, untouched by the horrors of Panem, full of life, you could see Treech staring at them too, his eyes filled with a wonder as his hands brush the bark. "Just like home." He murmurs his hand moving to pick up a fallen leaf.

You smile at his childlike wonder. Sometimes, you forget your both still only eighteen, after the games and everything that had happened. Even in the war, when your worlds had been separated, you still felt older. You looked older too, the tiredness and work had aged you, your time in the academy, the late nights studying. All of it piled up.

"When did you start working for the district Treech?" you wondered out loud as his gaze turned to you. He took your hand as you both continued through the woods to your destination. "Ten. But I got designated to lumberjack duty at twelve." He said simply shrugging his shoulders. "When did you start attending the academy?" You smiled. "Twelve, we leave when we turn eighteen for university." He looked up at you. "What kind of stuff did you study? Was it similar to school in the districts?" You let out a gentle hum in thought swinging your hands back and forth. "No, not really. It's a lot of the past, and then the future. Most people who go to university end up working as game makers, or teachers at the schools, some as fashion designers or creators for the games." You said. "Not many options for the future but, I suppose it's better than fighting in the games." You murmured at the end looking at the crunching leaves and twigs on the ground. Suddenly Treech pulls you to a stop. "Careful, look, it's a milk snake. When they bite it can be dangeous, makes you see things, happened to my uncle. He was under bed rest for weeks." He said quietly watching the snake slither past you both its tongue occasionally peaking out of its mouth.

You hum. You didn't really know Treech that well.. you didn't know much about him at all. You didn't know his friends, what he was like before the games. You knew nothing. Not one thing. You look up at him. "Let's play twenty- one questions." You suddenly say out loud looking at Treech. He raises a brow. "Why the hell would we play that.." he says with a laugh.

I frown. "Because we barely know each other... if you had a gun to your head, and someone said tell me your favourite colour or you get shot, you'd get shot." You huff. Out, Treech rolls his eyes. "To save myself from getting shot, my favourite colour is green." You let out a mock gasp. "Wow, I would never of guest from what you spent most of your life around." He throws you a mock glare, "then what's your favourite colour, let me guess, a primitive, pure gold, only found at twelve feet below the ground." He puts on a snooty voice teasing you. You let out a loud laugh leaning forward as you both continue to walk. "You're such an ass!"

"You started it!" He laughed back as he picked up the pace, cmon, if we wanna be outa these woods by nighttime we need to get a move on." He said pulling your arm slightly. "Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to spend the night out here, it could be like.. camping!" You say excitedly. He throws you a dumbfounded stare. "Yeah sure.. you have fun being bit by something venomous..." he mutters. You roll your eyes at him as eventually the trees start to thin out, revealing a small run down log hut and a large shining lake with the sun bouncing off of it. "Or we could spend the night here!" You say tugging his arm. "Come on! Let's go have a look!" You move faster towards the hut only to be yanked behind Treetch. "Slow down, I wanna make sure there's nothing dangerous in there..." he whispers placing a finger to his mouth. He begins to approach the door, quietly pushing it open. It opens with a loud squeak echoing in the forest, and yet, it was empty. Treech stuck his head in looking from left, to right. "All clear." He walks in looking at the stripped bed, and small makeshift fire place and pot. Your eyes fall to the floor where a floorboard has been lifted revealing a hole in the floor. "Huh...you whisper leaning down to find bullets, and a stray note." You unfold it rising to your feet reading over the note.

'Lucy,
I put the guns out here knowing only you, or Maude would fine them. I'm sorry for everything.
Yours dearest.'

The note was short and sweet, guns? District twelve didn't have access to guns, let alone bullets you thought, raising a brow at the strange note before putting it down. "What did you find?" Treech asks coming to your side staring down at the hole. "A weird note.. to Lucy Gray of all people. Something about guns." You say confused as you stand up. "Do you reckon there's some food around here? I'm starved.." Treech then stands up pointing to the table. On the table lay some kind of vegetable. A large root and a bulbed shape at the end. It was muddy, as if it were picked during a storm, or heavy rain.
"If we wash them off, we can skin them, light a fire and cook em." Said Treech reaching over to pick up the vegetable, he lifted it up to show you. "It's called swamp potato." You raise your nose at the name, a potato from a swamp? Treech dusts his hand off before offering it to you, holding the swamp potato's in his other hand. "Cmon, let's go was them now, we can do it in that lake we saw." You nod taking his hand carefully walking out of the small hut.

—————————————————————

You follow him out to the large lake seeing how the light reflected off it into multiple directions, the orange Hugh made the water appealing, as you reach the docks, carefully without slipping, you stick your hand in it , almost immediately retracting it at the cold feeling shaking it off.

Treech chuckles before he rolls his sleeves up, dunking the swamp potato into the water washing it off thoroughly. Once it's clean, he rises up shaking it off till it's somewhat dry. "We can eat them raw or cooked, it's be difficult to light a fire since all the wood and bark is so damp."
You stick your chin out in thought. "We can just eat them raw." You smile, standing up taking his hand again giving it a light squeeze.

—————————————————————

Oh my god... ONE MORE CHAPTER AND TJEN THIS STORY IS FINISHED 😔😔😔😔😔😔 THIS IS SO SAD I ABSOLUTELY ADORED WRITINF THIS BOOK WITH ALL MY HESRT. ICL I MIGHT STSRT ANOTHER BOOK IN TBR PERSPECTIVE OF SOMEONE FROM TREECHES DISTRICT WHOS STAYS HOME WATCHING THE BOOK SO I HAVE ANOTHER THING TO WORK ON ALONGSIDE WAIT FOR IT 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭