CHAPTER 2 - Starting Over

"When you say infestation, do you mean rodents, termites, ants?" Emma asked the woman on the phone.

"Not exactly. Listen, I'm tired of selling this house only to have the buyers make me do it again. I'll be up front with you. The house is haunted."

Emma had emailed the realtor Saturday night and had been surprised to get a response the next day saying there was an infestation problem. Miranda Higgins had encouraged her to look at several other listings with attached links, but none were very interesting to Emma. It was the vintage appeal that caught her eye, so when she called Monday morning, her mind was already made.

"Haunted?" Emma repeated after a moment.

"I know what I sound like, but I've shown this house eighteen times and sold it to four brave couples only to have them in my office again within the first week of moving in. I've seen and heard things each and every time I go inside. To the point that I refuse to enter that place again."

Emma did not believe in ghosts or any other paranormal mumbo jumbo. But if a spirit did live there, then she would either coexist or hire Ghost Busters.

"How about this. If you can send me a current inspection report, I'll buy it sight unseen. You don't have to do anything but give me the keys when I get to town. If the infestation problem persists, I will find my own resolution. Perhaps an exorcist."

"We've had priests, shamans, smudging, prayers, baptisms, and even a professional spirit removal company. You sound like a nice young lady. Please, reconsider."

"Do you have anything else outside of town, no visible neighbors, with antique architectural style?"

"Well, not exactly, but I do have some nice trailers farther out or cute single bedrooms in town for the same price."

"No thank you, Ms. Higgins. Please send the inspection information. If there's nothing recent, I don't mind paying for a new one."

"Fine," she huffed. "But if you do buy it, will you please list it with a different agent when you sell?"

"Not a problem. I could probably find one right here in the city."

"Then we have a deal. I'll get a new inspection done today. It's in fairly good condition, so I don't see that being a problem. It holds up surprisingly well when empty. Things only break when it's inhabited," she said with a shudder.

"I'll take my chances. Thank you for your time."

Emma finished packing up her desk, and after discussing the details of her new work situation with Mr. Harper, she collected a huge stack of manuscripts to fill the next couple of weeks. He wished her luck on the campaign trail, and a twinge of guilt filtered through her chest. Mr. Harper had always been good to her, and she hated lying, but it was already done.

She waved to the few co-workers who spoke with her around the office. Overall, Emma was well-liked if not well-known. Her aversion to public places, events, and conversing with more than one person at a time had left her socializing options rather limited. It had suited her fine as she had Todd and Kimmy, but now she thought even that was too much.