CHAPTER 5 - Introductions and Growing Pains

Several hours later, she nearly jumped out of her skin when her cell phone appeared on her desk.

"I'm so sorry," she said, noting the missed calls. "I don't really know anyone. I didn't expect any contact."

HELPING U

"Oh, um, thank you. That's um, well it's really nice," she smiled, unaccustomed to the assistance. Todd never lifted a finger, and here was a ghost bringing her cell phone because she missed calls. "I don't know the number. Probably a mistake. I'll call my boss just in case."

Her apology, clear surprise, and confused gratitude made Wyatt want to go back and beat every person who had dismissed her in the past. It was a natural and typically decent thing to bring someone their phone if it was ringing in another room. Yet, it was clear she was more concerned about disturbing him.

"Emma for Mr. Harper, please," she said when his secretary answered.

"Of course, dear. I'll patch you through," Marnie obliged.

"Emma, what a delight. I must say we've missed seeing you around the office. What can I do for you?" Hearing her boss's kind words had an unfamiliar warmth spreading through her chest.

"Hello, Mr. Harper. It is strange not going into work each day. I had a few missed calls from a number I didn't recognize and wanted to make sure no one was trying to reach me."

"No one here that I know of. How are you doing with that stack of manuscripts?"

"Surprisingly good. I'm just finishing the seventh one. I didn't have high hopes for a story about magical tattoo ink, but I've loved it so far. I'm actually getting much more done here. My office space is very tranquil."

"Yes, I should have mentioned that. You're too honest to cut your hours, but Emma, no one truly works a full forty. Try to match your standard productivity levels rather than time spent in the office. Most of our remote employees only put in twenty-five to thirty hours a week even on a full-time salary."

"Oh, I couldn't do that."

"You can, and you will. You're one of the best, Emma. I don't want you burning out, especially on the campaign trail. Now, I'm glad you've called. I would like to revisit the idea of you moving up as an editor. I know proofreading has been your comfort zone, but you already do all the work without the author relationship.

"I was thinking by working remotely, author meetings wouldn't be as intimidating for you. Everything can be done online or over the phone."

"Um, well, I uh..."

"Please think about it. You're too good to stay at this level. I want to promote you, Emma. Now, I've got to go. Call if you need anything."

"Okay, sir. Thank you," she said just as he ended the call. That same guilt pinched her chest, but she swallowed it down.

"Campaign trail? Better if you just disappear... They're making you hide the divorce! Is that how you ended up here? They've tucked you away to be forgotten?" Wyatt raged, putting the pieces together.

Looking at her work, she realized Mr. Harper was right. She'd done more pages than was typical for her workday, but it had only been six hours. Deciding to make another cup of coffee, she headed to the kitchen, lost in thought about the strange missed calls, cutting her hours, and her invisible housemate. She opened the drawer with the flatware and paused. Coming out of her stupor, she looked around.

"You put handles on the cabinets," she said softly and was rewarded with two knocks. "They're beautiful."

Emma gently touched the round porcelain knob, loving the small pink flowers painted in the center. They reminded her of teacups and doilies, lace curtains and summer breezes.