CHAPTER 22 - Three Strikes, You're Out

The weeks slipped by, and the sun was finally warming up the Washington peninsula. June was one of Wyatt's favorite months of the year, but he had long since given up on enjoying his summers. That had all changed having his woman, his best friend, and a precocious kid in his life now. The latter of which was what finally got Emma to agree to go fishing, but only if Jessie came too.

Each weekend found the five of them out at Lake Cushman with their poles in the water, well at least two. Li'l W liked to chase River around or swim in the shallows with Emma and Jess. Things were easy between all of them since Emma, River, and little Wyatt could hear him. He and Mike still used the tablet, but it was obvious his friend had been as lonely as he was over the years, so Wyatt was happy to just let him talk.

His favorite conversations were prodding Mike about a particular, dark-skinned, full-figured Latina who somehow managed to render Mike speechless at least once every time they all hung out.

"She's wonderful, man. Sexy, smart, funny as shit, doesn't seem to care if I have ten dollars or a thousand, but she's also young, gorgeous, owns her own business, and can have anyone she wants in life."

When Mike looked over, Wyatt shrugged and spun his hand in the go on gesture. They were getting pretty good with body language as long as Wyatt wore enough so Mike could make out his movements. They knew each other so well, Mike swore he could hear Wyatt's thoughts in his own head sometimes.

"I'm a divorced, single dad, nearing forty with a struggling company, and a terrible reputation."

They had had this conversation before, but Wyatt wasn't about to let his friend give up. He handed over his pole and pulled the tablet out of his waders.

'I found the love of my life, and I'm fucking dead. Spare me your excuses. Ask the girl out.'

Mike laughed, glancing over at where the two women built towers out of rocks with his son. "Can't argue with that. Come to Dockside with me tonight?"

'This trip is hard on her leg, but we can take Li'l W home with us, and you go be a single man for a night.'

"You're offering to babysit?" Mike asked in amused shock.

'Call it wingman adult style.'

"Ain't that the truth. Our parents really did not prepare us for this shit."

'Our parents are all still alive and married, even if it is your fathers... third?'

"Ha, you missed the fourth, and he's currently dating his fifth. The invitation should come any day now."

'My opinion, you're doing a hell of a lot better than he did. Wyatt's a fantastic kid.'

"Thanks man."

That Friday was Li'l W's first night in the guest room upstairs. The next Friday was his third. Mike would never ask this many times in one week, but Jessie had no problem hitting up Emma, who was delighted to have her favorite kid at the house. It meant waffles, mac 'n cheese, and the shrieking laughter of a child. Best of all, it was someone else who could interact with Wyatt like he was still alive. Watching the two of them play with River in the backyard had her living out a fantasy that had long been forgotten.

⚞❖⚟

Emma woke to find Wyatt in a mood. The man was so even-keeled that the grumpy version who was quiet and distant had her a bit worried.

"Love, talk to me. What's wrong?" she asked, stepping into the darkroom where he was setting up the enlarger that had finally come in the mail. Emma sat a plate of his favorite molasses cookies on the counter and watched as he tried and failed to ignore them.