A Deep Sea Duel Part 1

Your POV

VETRIX WINS

I slowly sat up, shaking my head lightly. I...lost. I look at the two numbered card that were given to me, then I look at Vetrix. A deals a deal...I hold Numbers 16 and 44 out to him, waiting for him to take them. Instead, he looks at them and me before gently pushing my hand back to me.

YN: What...are you doing? You won, so you get them.

Vetrix: No...no, I don't think I will.

YN: Why?

Vetrix:...You see YN, when a duelist has possession of a number card, the power that surges through them is normally too much for the duelist to hold control. This power is tainted, making the number card able to control the duelist and have them act as the card wishes, most of the time causing chaos and destruction wherever the cards leave. Of course, there are exceptions like me, who have enough strength and willpower to keep control when using number cards, as you saw in our duel.

Vetrix turned to me and narrowed his eye.

Vetrix: Clearly you're an exception too. At first I thought your reaction to the sudden feelings of power was you resisting the control of the number in some futile attempt to control your own body.

YN: No, no...I just...the power I felt when summoning them surprised me is all. Other than that, I didn't feel any different.

Vetrix: Interesting...very interesting.

Vetrix held his hand out to me, helping me up to my feet before walking back a bit.

Vetrix: Tell me YN, where did you get those two numbers?

YN: Oh...well, I got 44 from a nice old man week or so ago, and I got number 16 yesterday from a new friend.

Vetrix: I see...did you see them holding or using any other numbers?

YN: No, no I didn't.

Vetrix: Hm...well YN, as I said, I'm not going to take your numbers. However, you can't use them freely. Keep them hidden from everyone, and never, and I mean NEVER, show them to Yuma or Shark.

YN: Wh- why? They're some of my closest friends!

Vetrix: Don't worry about why. Just tell me you wont show them.

YN: I...fine. I promise I wont show them.

Vetrix: Good. Now then, I think it's high time you woke up.

Vetrix hopped up and tapped my forehead. A bright light flashed in my eyes before I could see again, and I was staring at my ceiling. I sat up and checked my phone for the time. Noon. I sighed and hopped out of bed and getting ready for the day. After I was done, I went downstairs and grabbed some cereal. As I ate, my phone pinged. I grabbed it and checked, seeing that it was a message from Shark.

(Text messages)

Shark: Yo YN, you free?

YN: Yeah, why?

Shark: A few friends and I were gonna go pick up some new things at the mall. Wanna join? Rio's coming too.

YN: Yeah sure! Gimme a few minutes and I'll be omw.

Shark: k

I set my phone down and quickly finished eating, tossing the dishes in the sink before grabbing my bag and running out the door. 10 minutes later I got the mall and I saw Shark and Rio standing with a few others, talking. I went over and smiled, waving to them.

YN: Shark, Rio, hey!

Shark: YN, there you a-

Rio: YN! Hi!