I'll take the nightshift.

The next day, you were rudely awakened to the sound of a loud microphone of a peacekeeper shouting into it, many more of them this time waiting for you all to exit the cage. You look to Treech who sat up with bleary eyes, tapping his head searching for his, only to panic when he realised it wasn't there, before seeing it in your lap.

"Stealing my stuff again?" He says taking it from your lap. "If I remember rightly you and your friends were the one stealing my stuff." You roll your eyes standing up after him, following him out of the cage.

You are then forced back into the same van roughly by the peacekeepers that had initially shipped you to the zoo. The smell was worse this time, due to the lengthy time you had spent in it last time, causing the air to be even more stuffy.

You take a deep breath trying to ignore the fumes. As you wait to arrive, jolting at every bump the truck experiences you find yourself making eye contact with Dill, who coughs even heavier, some blood flying into her hand. You feel your brows come together, you reach into your pocket searching for your handkerchief you and your mother had embroiled together when you were a child. You quietly called her name, leaning over gently passing it to her. She takes it gratefully, before pausing. "I don't want to get blood on the pretty flowers." She mutters sadly. You instead shake your head. "It's ok. I can clean it off." Encouraging her to use it, eagerly she then begins wiping her lips and mouth then her hands on the small fabric before leaning over to hand it back to you. You smile and shake your head. "You keep a hold on it, when we get back you can give it back to me." She smiles even wider before she begins figerting with the flowers, showing it to Reaper, who offers you a small, barely noticeable smile.

Treech looks between you and dill before raising a brow. "Made a little friend there?" He teased. You roll your eyes smiling up at him. "Better friend than you."

—————————————————————

As the van comes to a stop, you are forced in front of treech into a line, the district six boy, bobbin. Stands in front of you shifting his weight from each foot. You turn your head looking at Treech who stood nervously at the entrance, who when he notices your gaze, offers you a small smile.

Whilst you knew you weren't going into the arena to fight, you could still feel nerves bubbling in your stomach as eventually, your mentor joins your side. He's tall, broad and where's a matching uniform to the other mentors. He takes his time looking you up and down before turning his gaze back to the metal entrance. "We'll start talking strategy inside."he mutters looking at the watch on his wrist before straightening his cuffs.

You nod beginning to step forward as the line begins to move inwards, into the arena, your immediately blinded by darkness. Only guided by red flashing lights, a mechanical voice greeting you. You turn your gaze to the light peering into the darkened room only to then notice the size of the arena approaching.

It's large, too large you think, as you stare at the gladiator ring.A large boulder sits in the centre, surrounded by clean, white seats, and rocks meant to symbolise stairs. You take a deep breath as you walk further in taking a better look around. Your stomach begins to twist as you notice there's not a single place to hide, and very, very few places to climb to safety. You look around noticing some tributes had ditched their mentors, and vie versa. Your mentor going the same, going to over to a small gang of mentors. You notice Coral, the district four female in specifics eying treech, stood next to another boy, and Mizzen, the boy from her district.
"Hey, lumberjack! Come here." She shouts to him nodding in his direction.
He turns his gaze to you before calling your name. "Y/n." He then gestures for you to follow, you take two steps before Coral interrupts again.

"No, no just you. Just you." She calls shaking her head at Treech, her eyes squinting at you. You feel your body freeze, as Treech turns to look at you again. You plead with him, attempting to communicate with your eyes. 'Stay. Stay.' Is all you think as he then lets out a sigh turning his back to you, walking towards Coral.

You feel your heart stop, a cry trapping in your throat. 'You can't cry. Not now.' You think your heart feeling heavy in your chest. A different voice then calls out to you. "Y/n." You turn coming face to face with Reaper, who gestures for you to come over to him and dill , you see Treech still watching you, staring at you with a saddened expression as you turn your back to him taking steps over to Dill and Reaper.

Dill smiles up at you letting out a cough. "Hi." She says shortly still smiling despite the throat ripping cough. You return it with a simple hello. Reaper looks at Dill before letting out a huff. "Work with us?" He murmurs, kicking a rock with his shoe. You raise a brow. "Sure?-"
"It's only to protect dill." He murmurs. "And because your partners ditched you and Dill felt bad."

You frown before gently nodding. A loud bang is what throws you off, you turn your gaze to a plane landing close to Lucy Gray. Rainbow girl. You take a step back, noticing the other tributes follow suit. Dust suddenly rises into the air as parts of the arena begins to fall you can feel yourself taking steps back as you grab Reapers arm. "We need to get out of here." You sharply whisper to him as his gaze falls to dill, then back to you. "Then let's go." He snaps grabbing dills arm as he follows you out, you sprint as fast as you can, running through the exit just before a pole can hit you hearing it smash and a loud scream from behind you.

As you make it out, you notice seven other tributes, the pair from six and seven, Jessup, and the boy from district ten.

You find yourself searching for Treech despite his recent betrayal. When you notice he's not amongst the ones outside your gaze turns back to the entrance to the arena. You began to take a step forward only to be stopped by a small pair of hands, Dill. She shakes her head at you her gaze also falling onto the battered, nearly falling entrance.

Finally, when it felt like hours later, out comes Treech, followed closely by Coral and the other two boys. A sigh of relief escapes your throat as his eyes begin to search amongst the larger crowd, his eyes, eventually land on you, and his shoulders fall in thankfulness.

—————————————————————

The sky has darkened and as of now, you had returned back to the zoo, apart from small cuts and bruises on your body, you were fine. You sat down alone on the bench where you and Treech had first been on your first day, you could feel a hole in your chest.

He had left you. He chose someone else, a stranger over his district partner. Someone he didn't even know. You look down, feeling the tears appear in your waterline. You hear the sound of boots on the ground approach you.

"We need to talk." You look up coming face to face with a serious Treech.
"Your allied with Reaper?" He asks sharply looking over at the pair. You frown. "And you allied with coral.." you murmur still not meeting his eyes. "I asked! I did. I asked if you could come and she said no.-"

"That's not the fucking point Treech! You left me. What happens if I didn't have any allies? I'd be completely and utterly vulnerable." You snap as quietly as you could not wanting to draw attention to the two of you. "I thought you were my friend.." you whisper looking back down at the dirt. "That's not.. come on y/n that's not true, you know I wouldn't ever hurt you, ever in the games." He whispers sitting down next to you, placing a hand on your back.

You shrug him off. "And what would happen if Coral decided to attack me? What happens then Treech? If mizzen then kills me or expects you to land the final blow. Would you?" You hiss at him.

He pauses for a moment stunned by your outburst.

"You know I would never, ever hurt you."