What a wicked game to play.

The next morning, you were awoken to loud banging on the steel bars as even more peacekeepers had come. You squinted, your eyes adjusting to the bright light of the sun rising. It was time.

you could feel your blood begin to pump faster as your heart came into your mouth. You rose from your bench, your brows furrowing. This would be the last time you see it. You couldn't help but feel slightly attached to the bench as you turn to Treech. who had also stood up adjusting his hat. His face looked pale and you had noticed how thin he had seemed as of recent. His eyes met yours and he slowly held a hand out.

It was calloused from the time spent clutching an axe, rough some scars from a misuse of placing his hand onto the blade of the axe. You reach out taking it as you walk together over to where the tributes were being lined up, district partners side by side, district by district. You turn your head, your eyes meeting Dills. She offers you a small smile, coughing harshly into her hand, pulling it back when noticing blood had splattered into it. Your smile wavers as you saw it, the likely hood was before a tribute could get the girl, her illness would.

Reaper seemed to notice the blood too as he grabbed her hand inspecting it. He reached into her pocket pulling out the handkerchief you had given her, wiping the blood from her hand before shoving it back inside her pocket. 'He was nervous' you thought. He was scared that seeing her weak, and ill that the girl would be an immediate target to whoever wanted to risk it.

Soon, you were all marched back towards the van, the smell gone as you noticed it was a new one, you were each filed into the van, the peacekeepers much less harsh with you today, when you took a close look at the faces under the hats, you could see glimpses of young children, who seemed to be fearful of what was to come.

As you entered the van, Treech then pulled you up with your still interlocked hands, he then guided you to the seat, furthest into the corner, standing next to you protectively. As the rest of the tributes filed in, the doors slammed shut, the van coming to life with a roar.

Your stomach was twisting, your face souring. This could be your last time with Treech before you die, with anyone you have met here. You looked over to see Reaper, he nods his head at you. You return the gesture, your eyes then falling to Lucy Gray, she seemed to be the most nervous, her hands fiddling with, something? You couldn't see what but she had it clasped tightly into her palms. 

Wovey sat leaning against Bobbin, humming a tune to herself as Bobbin looked at the ground, his jaw tightly clenched, his hand in a tight fist. His nostrils were flaring in anger before he shuts his eyes tightly.

Everyone was frightened. No one wanted to go. Your head reeled with thoughts of escape, plans to rush the peacekeepers and for the dozen of you to all escape back home. And yet, there was no point. The doors slammed opened as the van came to a haunt, each one co you forced out to the stadium and marched through the red flashing lights into the arena.

It looked even worse than the first time you came, most of the walls had crumbled, the cornocopia smashed with pieces of it littering the floor. Stones and rubble left very little open area, some large enough to hide behind. Others, not. But what had caught your eye the most, was the large pole, with.. Marcus. Strung up high. You could feel the vomit rising in your chest again. Your face had flushed as blood ran up to it. Oh my god.

You could hear some other tributes shout in horror, gasps of terror and some, tears of fear of this becoming their fate. His face was swollen, beaten, and bruised. Blood covering his body as his clothes were ripped. You gulped in fear.

The next thing you noticed were the designated spots on the ground, one for each tribute. Before you could move to your spot, a large hand reached out grabbing your arm, you turned your head in surprise as Reaper stared at you. "Grab your axe, then stick with me and Dill. Got it?" He whispered heavily before letting go of your arm.

You finally took a good look at the cornocopia, weapons littered it, one bow and arrow, spears, a net of some kind, and.. two axes. Your gaze immediately turned to Treech, as his did to you.

A sharp pain your back caused you to let out a sharp cry as a peacekeeper started to push you towards your spot. You could see Treech tense in the corner of your eye, his hands forming into tight fists as he watched you be shoved from his spot. And yet, before you could say anything, a large count down appeared above the cornocopia. Staring from thirty, falling to zero. You could feel your rasps for air start to stick in your throat.

Is this how you die?

You could see Dill from across the cornocopia, her face pale with nerves and disease, her frail arms shaking as her head snapped between Reaper, and the cornocopia. Coral however looked the opposite to her, her face, whilst hardened, looked excited. Her hands opening and closing as they rested at her side. She shared a glance with her tribute partner who, matched her expression, still seemed slightly tense, worried.

The count down reached ten, you could hear Lucy Gray begin to murmur her eyes widely searching the cornocopia. "Jessup...?" She was whispering frantically trying to get the attention of her tribute partner. You could see on his face he wasn't all there, barely standing, looking ready to collapse. You shut your eyes taking a deep breath as the alarm Begins to blare signalling the games beginning.

Go.

—————————————————————

The games have begun! How exciting.. poor Marcus though :(( he was such a cutie patootie. And now he's gonna die. RIPPPPPP 🫶🫶🫶