Nightly Adventures

The moon was shining down on the two as they continued down the path. They were talking, learning more about each other as they did so. Grian learning about how Scar didn't have many people around him and how excited being soul mates was to him caused Grian to feel sorry for a moment before feeling joyful about their bond as well. He had learned that being sad or worried around Scar was hard. He always found a way to cheer up the mood or make Grian laugh.

After a while, the pair began to hear voices; curious, they started to follow it, spotting two figures near the walls around the village, yelling and arguing over something. Grian stopped moving while Scar moved closer. Something about this didn't feel right to the Avian. It was dark, and the two figures were by the wall. No one else was around.

"Scar, wait. Let's go; this doesn't feel right."

Scar turns towards him, confused, before thinking. "Can we at least see what is happening? What if it's important?"

"What if it's red hearts," Grian said, his voice concerned, a little scared. The Tone was enough for Scar not to want to risk anything; trying to fight the need to know what was happening, he moved closer to Grain again, moving him towards the barrels near them before Scar began to peek over.

"Let's just check from here, five minutes, and we can go. If they are red hearts, I'll keep us safe."

Scar's words didn't make Grian feel much better, but he knew Scar was trying. He wasn't happy about staying here, but maybe Scar was right; they needed to know to report it if it was a breach. But it was risky for them as well. Grian just nodded, looking over as well.

The figures continued to argue; the conversation was about the wall, yet the status of the two was hidden; Grian couldn't tell what their hearts were. Scanning the wall for cracks, struggling due to how far the two were. After a while, it went quiet. One of the figures seemed to have had enough and left, leaving only one there. They remained for a moment before walking towards the pair. That's when the panic kicked in; Grian looked around before shoving Scar down on the ground, using his cloak to find him while Grian tried to take himself into the corner.

At that moment, they only saw the red hood of someone working past them. Everything seems to go in slow motion for Grian. Whoever it was, Grian's heart told them they were dangerous.

Grain didn't let them move for a while, not wanting to find out if his heart was right about that hood. After a while, Grian stood up. He was looking around before holding his hand out for Scar.

"I think let's go see Etho."

Scar just nodded, taking his hands and getting up. As they walked away, Scar couldn't help but look at Grain; it seemed to scare him more than it should have. Maybe he was missing something.

------------------------------------------------------

Knocking on the door, waiting for an answer. After a while, the sight of the sliver hair popped out from the door. He was looking towards the tall phantom before looking down to spot Grian. His wings were hidden under the cloak around him, trying to conceal all his colourful feathers, causing a look of discomfort from Etho.

"Grian? Everything alright?"

"Yeah, Yeah, just tired. I just wanted to see how you are doing and all!" Grain put his hands up with a little bit of a nervous expression. He had initially come to comment on the sighting he and Scar had seen, yet now, he didn't want to. What if they were wrong and it was nothing?

"That's nice of you?.." Etho said, opening the door fully to allow them in. "Come on in. I don't have much, but you can help yourselves with some bread."

As Etho continued to talk, Grian walked towards the couch in the corner, sitting down, immediately grabbing the pillow and held onto it, using it to rest his chin on. This was normal for Grian, who sighed as he continued to get comfortable. However, although Scar usually wouldn't be bothered, he felt weirdly awkward as he stood there, trying to see where to sit. Would Grian want him to sit next to him? Or would he want Etho, someone who he's known longer? The other seat was a little farther away from the couch, and some of him didn't like to sit so far away. He stood for a while before Grian noticed him just standing there awkwardly. Etho himself looking at Scar and back at Grian from behind. Grian rolled his eyes a little before tucking his wings closer and patting the area next to him, thinking how much Scar felt like a pet dog. However, it seemed to have worked, as Scar smiled and quickly sat next to Grian, crossing his legs as he did. He was trying to take up little room.

"Alright, now that whatever ever just awkwardly happened here... how are things going for you two? You know, soul mates and all. Have a good day together?" Etho said, breaking the silence as he walked over towards the two, sitting on the arm of the couch, crossing his arms.

"I say it's been good, honest Scar. You are actually a lot of fun to be around," Grian spoke first, looking over towards Scar as he said, smiling.

Scar smiled back towards Grian. "Thanks, man; I like being with you, too. You are more fun when you aren't being a little bossy boot."

Grian rolled his eyes, keeping a smile on his face. "I take back everything I said; I don't want to talk to you anymore", he joked, causing a laugh from Scar. The Avian looked back over to Etho. "How's being paired with Joel treating you?"

"Eh, it could be better if he didn't keep getting hurt from little things all the time. So, I decided to find a new way to get his attention or mess with him. Would you like to know? It might be helpful," Etho said with a smirk.

Grian thought for a moment before nodding. "Do tell." With his words, Etho's smirk grew more. He was grabbing Grian's hand and pinching him. This caused Grian to look at him annoyed, feeling like he fell for a joke while Scar shook his hand.

"One pinch is just tell him to stop whatever he is doing, two for him come over, three means there is a problem. Any more, and I want to annoy him." Etho had a smirk on his face. 

"That's smart, Etho!" Scar spoke, looking impressed by Etho's method of talking long distance. 

"Yes.. smart yet very uncomfortable," Grian said, rolling his eyes. He was about to add to it till he felt the continuous pinches on his hand, looking towards Scar, who was pinching himself with a smile. Scar's smile made Grian smile a little. It was annoying, but something about Scar's behaviour made it hard for him to get annoyed now. "Scar, could you stop?" 

"Sorry Grian. I- woah, I can't believe we didn't think of something like this!"

"That's because I hope we don't need this; I would have thought of something smarter if I thought we needed it." Grian crossed his arms, feeling oddly jealous he didn't think of something like this. Trying to excuse himself from not being as bright as Etho. "To have something like this would be like I plan on getting us hurt."

"You have to admit it's still a cool thing." Scar chuckled. 

"It's cool, yes," Grian said, focusing on Scar, slightly forgetting they were a third party in the room. 

Etho sat watching the two with a sigh. "If I were planning on third wheeling, I would be with my own soulmate and his partner." Looking back at the two, finally catching their attention again. "If you are going to flirt, take it to your own house, Birdie." 

Grian face grew red from the comment. "Jesus, Etho, if you think this is flirting, you need higher standards. There is nothing like that here." Uncomfortable about the topic.

"Whatever you say, man. " 

"I am going to grab myself a drink" Grian said standing up and walking off towards the Kitchen. Etho's eyes followed him, watching him disappear before turning to Scar. 

"Let's talk."

--------------------------------

Authour's Note.
Sorry for the delay. I had Uni up my ass so I couldn't work on it.

I have actually split this chapter into two, hench the little cliff hanger. Just wanted to show I am still here and the second half will be done by Friday this week!
- Love Papers