One

He never predicted this life for himself or his child. Derek Shepherd was a man of his word, a loyal man with the kindest heart that he protected with armour. He was handsome and successful, many wanted him but he could see beneath false eyelashes, they wanted him for sex, to say they'd slept with the man who didn't let it go beyond the bedroom. But he had his reasons, the biggest being none of the women he met wanted the life he came with, his four year old daughter Sofia.

He had been in love once before, Catherine Jarvis had his heart five years ago. They were together a year, he loved her deeply but one morning he awoke and she had vanished. Without a trace leaving him him heartbroken.

Eight months later a knock to his apartment door awoke him, by the time he got there the knocker was gone but they had left behind a moses basket holding a crying baby who must have only been days old within it.

At the time he was only twenty three, he called his mother who took the baby to the hospital. Within hours he had it confirmed the baby was his.

Catherine had left the paperwork beneath the baby, signing over all parental rights to Derek. Three weeks later the police who had been searching for the runaway mother told him they'd found her body. She had died from a heroine overdose.

From that day his heart belonged to his daughter, who he named Sofia. His life was for her, he wanted better for her. Within a year he had his house, his job paid well especially since he was successful .

Four years on, Sofia was his entire world, her and their dog who Sofia had named Hope. She didn't understand why she didn't have a mummy. She loved her nanny and aunties. Carolyn had helped Derek as has his older sister Clara and younger sister Amelia. As well as his father and best friends Mark and Owen. Clara had a son of her own who was six and was married, she had been Derek's biggest rock in the early stages alongside their mother.

Derek walked around him home picking up the various dog toys or toys that belonged to Sofia. He had a maid who came once a week to do a big clean up although he didn't mind cleaning, weekends were for Sofia.

He loved his home, five bedrooms, two of which had ensuites, three other bathrooms, home study , an open plan kitchen / diner with huge black doors leading to the patio. On one side of the kitchen there was a large glass door and a window which led to the conservatory where the pool sat as well as his built in hot tub. A large sofa sat in the corner of that room beside the large doors to the outside. In a corner with a half wall he had his home gym equipment too. Of course he had a lock on the door. On the other side was a small staircase which led to Sofia's playroom and the downstairs bathroom and cloak room. Just around from the kitchen through a beautiful arch way was the living room, modern and dark colours except from Sofia's touches.

He took pride in what he had, he worked for it all. Sofia was a bubbly, smiley, happy child. Her looks were all Derek, long dark hair, beautiful blue eyes and dimples by her cheeks.

He walked into Sofia's room where she sat on the floor playing with her ponies. Her room was beautifully decorated. A bookshelf mounted to the wall with all of her books in, white oak drawers for her clothes and whicker drawers for her toys. The wallpaper was a pink and purple floral one, with butterflies and fairies. Her bed sat in the centre of the room she had a beautiful white metal carriage bed with a princess canopy. Beside her bed was a night light as well as a picture of her and Derek camping with Hope. Something they did often. A small television sat on the wall. Her bed of course had teddies but Derek had just tidied them when he changed her duvet from her rainbow one to her disney princesses.

"Hello princess, are you ready to go to the park and see everyone"Derek smiled softly as he knelt to meet her height.

"Yes daddy yes yes"She clapped giggling. She wore a blue daisy print summer dress with shorts beneath it. Derek had learnt to braid her hair so of course it was perfectly braided.