Three

Thursday came around quickly even though it was Summer time the sky was grey, rain clouds filled the air.  Derek had been emailing Meredith back and forth, she was very serious about her job and he liked that about her. She was taking everything seriously down to every detail. 

He knew Sofia needed another female figure around other than her aunts and gran but it scared him. He didn't want her to be hurt.  Sofia was at the age where she made friends who had mummy and daddy. Where she went to nursery classes and would talk about family. She couldn't understand why she didn't have a mummy. Derek always told her "Mummy was poorly when you were born and went to heaven to become a star". 

He had just finished the breakfast routine when his door knocked. Sofia hadn't noticed thankfully so he left her eating. 

When he opened the door he was greeted by a beautiful Meredith. She stood in black jeans and a white knitted jumper. Her bag sat loosely on her shoulder with her hair caught beneath it. She only wore minimal makeup with lip gloss. 

Meredith softly smiled. Although the last three days had been hell for her she looked forward to spending the day with Sofia. Kyle was just getting angrier with each day. Her bruises were becoming harder to hide as they became bigger, darker and were scattered. 

"Morning, I am a little early I am so sorry"Derek stood aside so she could come out from the cold. 

"Its okay. Sofia is just eating. I am going to grab a shower and get ready. I am sure she will have a plan for the day"Derek spoke gently. He wasn't sure where it came from, his need to be soft but he was. 

"Perfect, should I just hang this here or.."She was a ball of nerves, it was obvious to him. He nodded and waited for her to take off her shoes before placing them in the shoe wrack.

"Don't be nervous okay, I won't bite. I shouldn't be too late but the dinner schedule and what she likes is on the fridge. Help yourself to food please as well as drink. Make yourself at home."He placed a hand on her arm for a brief moment before taking her through to the living room. Then through the arch into the kitchen.

"Meredithhh"Sofia cheered running with her arms open. Meredith knelt to catch the hug. Derek chuckled.

"I'll be down soon"He nodded before rushing up the stairs.

Instantly Sofia showed Meredith around, for a four year old she was very smart and aware. She showed her to Hope the happy golden retriever. She showed her the downstairs bathroom and then her own huge playroom. It was a complete dream in there. A reading corner, a small indoor slide, teddies, dolls, castles, ponies everything a four year old girl would dream of.

"We nearly matching"Sofia giggled looking at their outfits. The raven haired child wore black leggings and a black and white jumper.

"We are, aren't we. So what is the plan today"Meredith asked.

"Its cold. So play inside"Which meant basically seeing how the day goes Meredith knew that. Sofia began colouring as Meredith tidied around her.

"I hope you aren't tidying"Came his voice from the doorway. Meredith jumped lightly. "Sorry, don't worry about that stuff"

"Honestly I don't mind doing it ...I"She was lost for words. He looked handsome standing there in a suit. Black trousers, white shirt and black waist coat. She never paid attention when it came to men but there he was. With his dreamy eyes and smile. 

Derek noticed how her cheeks lightly flushed red. It gave him the slightest boost as he thought about her thinking of him. He had thought about her many times since he first met her, even the day after when they met again. She intrigued him, he wanted to know her more, know her interests and hobbies, he had't wanted anything like that since Catherine.

"Just don't do too much alright. If she is happily playing feel free to watch TV you don't need to be there all the time unless its in the pool." Meredith nodded as Derek copied her actions and fixated his gaze on her.

"Meredith look its a butterfly"Sofia called. She turned in an instant. Smiling as she looked at the picture Sofia had coloured.

"Baby, daddy is going to work now. Be a good girl for Meredith" she leaped up and into his arms. Derek squeezed her as if he would never see her again. Placing numerous kisses to her hair he settled her down. "I'll let you know when I am on my way back, on that note I need your number" Meredith nodded as Derek handed her his phone. She quickly added her contact to his phone. 

Once Derek left she and Sofia spent the next few hours in the play room, Meredith had been a poorly patient when Sofia played nurses. They coloured together, played with the play dough and Meredith had even done a few puzzles with Sofia to help her learn. 

"I am hungryyy"Sofia groaned at 1pm. Meredith stood up knowing that meant lunch time. They both left to the kitchen where Derek had written what snacks she can have, what to have for lunch and dinners if needed.

"So your dad says whatever sandwich you want, a yoghurt, fruit and crips with an orange juice"Meredith read. Sofia nodded with a smile.

"Yeeeep. Ham please andd apple slices"Meredith nodded. Sofia sat nicely at the table as Meredith prepared the lunch. She simply made herself a ham sandwich. She never ate much she wasn't used to it. 

Once lunch had been devoured Sofia sat on the sofa with her tablet playing different learning games. Meredith took that time to clean the plates and empty Derek's dishwasher. She didn't want to overstep she just enjoyed helping. 

She looked through the large glass window to the pool. She could see Sofia's floaties everywhere. 

She wiped down the table, hoovered up and tidied the play room properly before sitting down beside Sofia.

"Can we watch Lion King 2"Sofia asked.

"Of course we can, let me get the movie ready"Meredith grabbed the remotes as Sofia jumped off of the sofa, ran to the kitchen and returned with two small bags of popcorn and chocolate from the snack cupboard.

Meredith simply thanked her, Sofia pulled her rainbow blanket over them both as the film played. After that film finished they went straight onto the next which was of course Frozen. Sofia was singing loudly when they heard jingling keys followed by the door opening. Meredith checked her phone to see it was already 4:30 even though Derek said around 6.

"I am a bit early. Let me get this off and I'll watch the rest of this with you before dinner"He kissed Sofia's head. She paused the film and grabbed a bag of popcorn for Derek.

Meredith wasn't sure what to do, if Kyle knew she was cozy on his sofa watching a film with him he would hurt her. She shook the thought away, he wouldn't find out there wasn't a way he could.

Ten minutes later Derek appeared in grey sweat pants and a t shirt. Meredith kept her eyes off of him even when he sat between her and Sofia, his leg brushed hers softly which they both noticed.

"Popcorn for daddy"Sofia beamed up. Derek thanked her with a kiss on the head. Once she was busy singing along he turned to Meredith.

"I have noticed you've cleaned. Thank you but please don't worry about it."His eyes were warm and filled with something she hadn't ever seen in a man for. 

"Should I go?"She whispered to him. Derek shook his head.

"No, six is when you are staying until"He nudged her. She tried her best to control the wince but the pain was evident in her eyes "Shit, did I hurt you"His hand rushed to side but she lighlty pulled away. 

"Honestly don't worry."She replied as they continued with the film.

How could he not worry, she had clearly been in pain enough to fight back tears, she was clearly hurt he could see the light bruise to her neck. But he couldn't overstep. It wasn't his place although every bone in his body told him to wrap her up and keep her safe from whatever beast was causing her pain.