Fourteen

The day she'd dreaded most was here, the day they'd both be called to give their sides although Meredith's held the truth she was terrified his manipulation would make the jury question her.

Mark had left in the night to grab Derek's suit and showering essentials for the next day.

They'd prepared as much as they could for this day but it's never enough, not when Meredith will have to relive it again as much as she already had. Yesterday had almost broken her, it had taken Derek hours to settle her. 

Lexie was full of fear, fear of what else they'd find out, what they'd hear about the abuse, but most of all fear of how much more it would take before Meredith broke down completely.

As Meredith began to awake the next morning her eyes were almost glued shut from dried tears, her head was planted on something hard yet warm, an arm was securely wrapped around her, fingers drawing cirlces on the skin of her arm.

Derek sensed the change in her breathing and shuffled slightly. She eventually looked up into his eyes offering a warm smile.

"Hey there beautiful"He placed a kiss on her forehead. She continued looking at him before sighing.

"I am so sorry you had to see me like that last night.You wanted to keep distance until the case was over and I ruined it for you"She apoligised as if she was scared.

"Meredith, don't apoligise darling. I managed to calm you down, I know it took hours but we did it. I would have rather have been here protecting you than drinking beer at home. None of that matters okay. Mark is going to handle the questioning today I don't want my feelings for you affecting anything"He placed another kiss to her forehead as he held her close to his body.

"You are the most wonderful man in this entire world, I wish i'd met you before all of this"Meredith admitted as she snuggled into his side.

"Me too, me too. Now my suit is out there Mark got it for me. He's ready as is Lexie they got ready early so I could get ready here. I'm gonna go get in the shower and freshen up. " Meredith nodded and threw back the covers, the pealed herself from his warm embrace as he stood wearing only sweatpants. 

Meredith's gaze must have lingered as Derek began to chuckle.

"Like what you see?"  Her cheeks flushed red as she snapped her head up.

"I'm sorry..I"She began but he stopped her with a quick kiss. He rested his hand on the base of her neck. 

"You can look all you like"He winked as he left, leaving her flustered in her room.

As he stepped out Mark looked him up and down. 

"We have an hour before we need to leave. How is Meredith?"He asked.

"She's okay, nervous but she's trying to be strong as always" They nodded between eachother as Mark went to sit back down with Lexie.

"We nearly slept together last night Lex"He sighed. She rested her head on his shoulder.

"I know Mark, I've been trying to call Jackson for three days to end things because I want you but he's been off the radar even at work he's not there." She pressed a soft kiss to the side of his neck before sighing again.

Meredith took a quick shower, dried her hair and applied her makeup before getting dressed. She chose a similar skirt to yesterday but decided to go with nude tights today. She chose a white body suit with a black and white contrast blazer with button detail.

She'd just finished changing when her door knocked.

"You decent Mer"Derek called out, before she responded Derek opened the door, rushing in with Mark behind him, they closed the door as she frowned at them.