Fifteen

The group sat in the cafeteria at the court as they waited to either be called in for the verdicts or dismissal until the next day.  Derek could barely look away from her, she was holding herself so strong all things considered. 

She was more than just beauty, she had a smile like no other, eyes that told a story, a laugh that warmed your heart and a voice that soothed your soul. She'd been through such a harsh ordeal yet she still listened to those who needed her,she still supported those around her and she still allowed herself to find happiness.

After her first kiss with Derek outside of the court she felt ashamed, like she didn't deserve happiness, like she should be hiding away and scared to face the rest of her life. But she took the long route home, spent the night thinking and trying to piece things together. Eventually she realised she deserved to be happy, she deserved to feel loved and to love someone else, she was allowed to be happy with another man despite everything Kyle had put her through.

Derek made her see the beauty within herself even when she felt like the ugliest person from the inside out. In the three months she'd known him he'd shown her nothing but kindness,  his comforting words had been her saviour in those darkest moments.

She looked over at the man she knew she was falling for, his eyes were already settled on her. She smiled softly, her eyes drifting to his lips. Their kisses had all been soft and gentle. She knew he would go slow, take their relationship at a steady pace. He was that kind of man.

Then there was Sofia, the little girl who had stolen her heart. She knew how much Derek missed her. She called every night to show Derek what she'd done at school and tell him about her day. Derek would read her a story no matter where he was and wait until she was sleeping before he cut the call.  

He had seen her one evening, he had missed her so much he drove to his mothers and took Sofia for dinner followed by a milkshake. His little girl was his universe, before anything came her happiness and safety.

Meredith herself was excited for the camping trip they were taking over the weekend, three nights in the mountains at a small camp site. Clara had a huge tent with six sleeping compartments as well as a large middle. She had an inflatable seat she would take as well as the classic camping equipment. 

"You look lost"Clara softly smiled as she placed her hand on Meredith's shoulder. The blonde nodded softly.

"Its hard Clar, facing so many demons with people watching, the people you love and care about" Meredith looked at those who gathered. Her two siblings, her parents, Henry, Amelia, Miranda, Owen, Cristina, Arthur Shepherd then of course Derek and Mark.

"You are the bravest woman on this planet, I will forever be proud of you. Are you excited for the weekend? I am, we have my huge tent as you know and Derek will be with Sofia and Hope next to us in their tent. You have your own sleeping compartment this tent has six! Its black and white."Clara nudged her as a small smile appeared on Meredith's lips.

"I look forward to feeling free Clar and to moving on with my life" They nodded between eachother as a lady dressed in all black approached where they sat, only 24 minutes after the break had been called.

"The jury had reached a verdict, please follow me back to the court" Derek thanked the lady as Meredith took a long deep breath.  

Ellis and Meredith shared a moment before they re entered, of course Kyle turned his head to watch Meredith walk in. Mark and Derek walked beside her one on each side. Their stance as if they were her own body guards.

It was easy to say Mark had taken Meredith on as if she was family, his younger sister as he saw it. 

"You've got this sweetheart" Derek whispered into her ear as they sat down. All he wanted to do was pull Meredith into his arms, hold her and show her the affection he'd been holding in since the day they met.

The judge began with her small introduction before turning to the 12 jurors. "Have you reached a verdict in which you all agree" She asked. A small male stood up.

"Yes your honour" Cythia nodded to him. 

"On count one, attempted murder in the first degree do you find the defendant guilty or not guilty" Meredith's hands were encased on both sides, Derek held her hand tightly where as Mark offered a reasuring squeeze.

There was a moment of brief silence, where the world felt like it stopped moving before the man spoke again.

The words left his lips, everything after that seemed to blur together. "Guilty your honour" 

Her lungs felt like they collapsed, Kyle seemed to roar as if he thought he would really get away with his callous actions. Derek squeezed harder as silent tears began to fall freely from her eyes.

"On count two, multiple counts of sexual assualt and rape do you find the defendant guilty or not guilty" 

"Guilty"

"On count three, multiple counts of controlling and coercive behaviour do you find the defendant guilty or not guilty"

"Guilty"

"On count four, multiple accounts of violent and threatening behaviour do you find the defendant guilty or not guilty"

"Guilty"

"On count five, multiple counts of actual and Grievous bodily harm do you find the defendant guilty or not guilty"

"Guilty"

Meredith let the sob she'd been holding escape her lips as Mark wrapped his arm around her to pull her closer.

"Kyle James you have been found guilty of all charges against you. Normally I would put forward a sentencing hearing but in this case I see no need to waste more time. Your crimes were vicous, cruel and torturous. You have shown no remorse. The evidence submitted shows that you are a violent man, a man of the worst kind. You are simply evil. You don't meet the criteria for the death penalty, however you will die in prison. I sentence you to two life sentences in a maximum security prison without the possibility of parole." When the hammer hit the wood and Kyle began to be removed from the court it all caught up to her.

He was guilty, he would never be released from prison, he could never hurt her again, her or any other incoent, vulnerable woman.

The moment she could she ran into the arms of her mother, her father and siblings joined as the soft sobs escaped Meredith's lips.

/

After a while everyone dispersed. Ellis, Richard, Owen, Cristina and Miranda were paged to the hospital. Theo asked Meredith if she wanted him to go home with her and Lexie but she softly refused. 

She and Derek had agreed they'd talk once they were away from the looming court house. She drove her car, Lexie followed in her own and Derek was behind her.

"It was hard Mark, not being able to pull her into my arms and comfort her. I would have if he hadn't made that comment at the start. I didn't want it to raise questions. Thank you for holding her"Derek sighed as Mark patted his shoulder.

"She is your girl, she is Lexie's sister, she's my family now Derek. You know that. You did well brother, once we are there you can hold your girl"Mark's words sparked his heart.

They all parked outside of Meredith's, No words spoken until they were inside.

"Come here"Derek opened his arms for her, within seconds she was there, her head on his chest and arms around his body. "I am so proud of you Meredith, you have no idea."He spoke into her hair.

That evening Derek and Mark left for an hour but returned with pizza, milkshakes and overnight bags.

Meredith spent the evening at Derek's side as Lexie did Mark's. They watched cringe worthy movies whilst laughing at random parts. Meredith kept herself tucked into Derek as he stroked her hair.

It was then she realised she wasn't falling in love, she was in love with this man. He held her like she was the only woman in the world.