Two

She had always been described as a kind girl, warm natrued and bubbly. But it all changed the day she met him.

Meredith had sailed through college with a couple of meaningless flings nothing other than that even when she wanted more. She had the best grades and was always at the top of her class. She always handed course work in on time, she studied well , listened and took notes. She took everything seriously. Of course every now and then on Saturdays she would let loose and party. 

She'd always had a job, she worked as a barista from when she was 18 up until her first placement at a pre school, the same one where she met Clara. 

When she arrived back home at age 21 she lived back home with Ellis and Richard for two months before buying her apartment. She loved that apartment, she had lived their happily for two years before her life changed, before she met him

At nearly 24 she hadn't experienced anything like she had with Kyle. The first date he showed nothing but kindness, until they kissed and left to Meredith's. The second the door closed and they were behind a door he became violent, pinned her down and took what he wanted. She thought when he left that would be it, she ignored his calls and messages. But it wasn't enough to keep him away. He kept coming back. She wasn't sure why she didn't report him, she gave into his stalking, his threats and allowed him to call her his. 

She acted happy but everyone could see through her, they could see she was in pain, that the colour and life had drained from her eyes. She looked exhausted. Which she was, held captive by fear.

For nearly seven months he had caused her nothing but pain, upset and terror. But she saw no way out at all. 

She stood in front of her floor length mirror, running her fingers over the dark bruises across her ribcage. Tears appeared in her eyes as she focused on the marks he had left the night before.  He had become angry over Clara's message requesting lunch. 

"I'm sorry"He grumbled walking into the room, a can of beer in hand. His meaningless apologies meant nothing but to to avoid another confrontation she would always smile softly.

"It's okay, I know you don't mean it"She leant over and softly kissed his lips. She tried to convince herself he didn't mean it when she knew he meant each blow and never regretted it. 

She pulled on her black tights, check skirt and long sleeve black top which she tucked in. Looking at her reflection again she noticed the small bruise above her eye. She covered it quickly with makeup. She couldn't let her emotion show, not around him.

"I'll be back later. Clar wants me to start watching Hugo and her brothers daughter on Thursday's and Sunday's"Meredith whispered, scared to let him know.

Without warning he grabbed a fist full of her hair.

"I am fine with that but if her brother touches you I will fucking kill him. You know I will"He released the grip and kissed her cheek.

She grabbed her bag as quickly as she could, rushing down the stairs of the complex she let her sob out, she wasn't sure how much longer she could keep up with it, how much longer she could pretend to be okay.

With a deep sigh she opened the door to her five door, grey mini cooper. She pressed the button to open the sun roof. She let the cool air provide her with the calmness as she drove to Clara's.

She knew she wouldn't be looking after Hugo and it would be Clara's brother's daughter. But she had to lie or be hurt again by Kyle. She wasn't sure what to think or say when Clara called her this morning. 

She double checked herself in the mirror, fixing the stray pieces of hair and wiping the mascara that had smudged under her eyes.

She knocked the door lightly, smiling when Clara answered.