Eleven

Preparation. The court day was coming by quickly, the preparations were almost complete. Witnesses had been prepared, opening and closing statements by the lawyers had been written. Suits and outfits were already hanging readily in closets. 

But Meredith's preparation had been the hardest, as she had so many times since his final attack on her she relived each moment through images and her own statements, as she answered questions from Derek and Mark. They made sure she was as ready as she could be. But nothing quite prepares you for the day you step into that court room. When you are no longer telling your story but trying to convince others it's all true, every word. 

Derek had known Meredith for just under four months now. Two and a half of those months had been spent watching her in pain and helping her to bring her abusive ex to justice. 

In the last seven weeks in the lead up to the courtcase that would be spread over three days he had spent almost every day with her. Either preparing her for what was to come or cheering her up in one way or another. 

She'd spent countless nights doing the night routine with Sofia, she'd joined them for walks, for movie days and burger trips. She'd become the third person in their life. In her darkest time they brought her joy. 

Sofia's face lit up whenever she was around Meredith. She'd smile, she'd laugh and act freely. Meredith was the female figure she'd always needed. As Derek watched her he knew how much he needed her, how hard he was falling for her. He'd seen her at her lowest yet it didn't bother him, he still wanted her for who she was no matter how patient he had to be.

She was the first woman to bring light to his eyes since Cathernine left him. She brought the spark back to his personality, his heart. Derek was more like himself when she was around, his muscles would relax as would his mind, especially when she was with Sofia.

But now he had to see her through the hardest time, they had no idea how it would play out on the actual court days. What he did know was how much would come to light especially to her family.

With it being such a tense time Derek had arranged for Sofia to stay with Carolyn for the week along with Hope. He didn't want her happiness being disturbed with the darkness this case would bring home. It would be the longest period of time he would have ever been away from her but he knew to keep her happy this was best.

"I will call you every night princess. I packed my shirt with my smell on it and your comforters. Remember when this nasty man is away we are going camping. Me, you, Markie, Amelia, Clara, Henry, Hugo, Lexie and Meredith. To the place in the mountains where we went last time" Derek stroked Sofia's hair as he said his goodbyes.

"I be okay daddy. Just help Mer"The four year old was smart. "I love her so much daddy"Sofia whispered into his ear as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"She loves you too, just like I do, so much baby girl" He clutched her tightly as light tears threatened his eyes.

"I love you daddy, now go"She giggled as Carolyn came into the room.

"The ice cream machine is ready, Derek she'll be okay. Once this case is over nothing stops you from getting your girl. Building something with her and Sofia."Derek nodded as he left his mother. 

He'd never had nerves like this before a case before, it was because it was her. The woman who had so quickly healed the part of his heart that had been broken. 

Pulling into the courthouse he parked and walked to the room he knew they'd be sat in. Walking in he nodded. Meredith sat in black trousers with a white blouse. Her face was now completely healed other than the scar to her lip and eyebrow.