Chapter 3 - Four Days Left

It was early on the morning as Atsushi woke up in Akutagawa's home. He had slept on the couch to give Akutagawa his space. Akutagawa wasn't awake yet, so he decided to try and surprise him.

Atsushi stood, in his pajamas that Akutagawa bought for him, and walked to the kitchen. He took a quick look through the pantry and fridge and smiled, relieved. He grabbed out the eggs and pancake mix and was quick to begin to cook.

***

Akutagawa woke up to the smell of burning food. He stood cautiously from his bed and coughed a few times into his hand, seeing the blood splatter. He was getting physically weakened by the day. He went over to the kitchen and looked in, seeing Atsushi putting out a fire on the stove with an extinguisher. "Were-tiger, I don't need you to burn down the apartment. I'd rather not burn alive," He spoke grimly. His entire body hurt.

Atsushi looked over, setting down the fire extinguisher since the fire was out and everything was off. He laughed nervously. "I was trying to make breakfast for y-" He began. He realized how cheezy it sounded and changed his wording. "-us. It sounded nice."

"I don't need a cook. Besides, I'm not hungry whatsoever," Akutagawa's eyes were narrow. He was angry, but he didn't mean to show it to Atsushi this time.

Atsushi sighed in defeat. "Is there anything you want to do, Akutagawa?" He looked up at the thin man.

"There's nowhere I'd want to be with you," Akutagawa lied through his teeth. He had disgust shown on his face, even though he appreciated Atsushi's company.

Atsushi nodded and laughed nervously. His entire body tensed as he saw Akutagawa hunch over the trashcan. His breathing was harsh as he coughed up blood. He ran to support Akutagawa, but was pushed away.

"Do not touch me, Jinko! I don't need you!" Akutagawa yelled, glaring at Atsushi as he stood up straight.

"What is with you?? Just let me try to help you!" Atsushi exclaimed, slightly annoyed at the lack of care Akutagawa had. "Just eat something!"

"If I'm dying already, then why not speed up the process?" Akutagawa huffed.

Atsushi shook his head quickly, "You'd go against your word, then! Your word to kill me after six months, right?! There's one left! If you killed yourself, you'd be killing either way and you won't be able to live up to your word!"

Atsushi was met with silence from Akutagawa, as well as a glare from his grey eyes. Akutagawa went over to the couch and carefully sat down, finally mumbling, "Fine. We can order takeout..."

Atsushi, relieved that Akutagawa finally agreed, pulled out his phone.

***

6 pm.

It was like the day was wasting away, the two mostly sitting in silence watching television instead of going out to do something.

Atsushi had something on his mind, though. Something scratching at his brain to ask. "Akutagawa." He raised his voice slightly.

Akutagawa glanced over, having heard his name. "What is it, Jinko? I don't have all day." He spoke coldly.

"Why was it me that you wanted by your side during your last days?" Atsushi looked up at the man,

Akutagawa looked away.

"I'd rather live my last days in comfort near someone kind than live alone."