Chapter 7 - Alone

It was a month after Akutagawa's passing, and a week after his funeral. After his confession. Atsushi wasn't himself lately, his heart aching at every second, not knowing if Akutagawa had heard him before he died.

Atsushi had started getting a lack of sleep, staying awake to think if he had cut Akutagawa's life short by a day. He got out of the closet in his apartment with sunken eyes, seeing Kyouka still asleep.

Atsushi snuck out of the apartment, fully clothed. He carried his wallet with him. As he wandered, he walked into a flower shop.

"I'd like a couple of flowers today..." Atsushi spoke to the owner of the shop. "With lavender," Devotion, "red carnations," Deep Love, "chrysanthemum," Death, "marigold," grief, "and hydrangeas." Apologies.

Once he got his flowers, he left to the graveyard. The flowers were loosely held as he wandered the graves. He walked to Akutagawa's grave and kneeled in front of it, trying to keep the tears from pouring down his cheeks.

"Akutagawa... I... I should have taken precautions with the fireworks... I should have known... I'm sorry... I-I got you flowers today..." Atsushi gulped as he set down the bouquet.

"Gin visited the Agency today... She looked exhausted but still wore a smile... Just like how she always did, right?" He smiled weakly. "Everyone misses you. I miss you..." He sniffed. "So much..."

Atsushi shook his head as he stood.

"I'll be with you again soon, Akutagawa. I promise..."