Chapter 6 - One Day Left...

The last day.

Atsushi's nerves were on end, though he had to stay strong for Akutagawa. When Akutagawa had woken up, he carried him into the bathroom so he could help him bathe a bit. They were going to go see fireworks that night. Atsushi promised. He wouldn't go back on it.

Atsushi was gentle with Akutagawa as he washed him up. Once he was done, he drained the tub and helped him dress. Akutagawa didn't put up a fight, feeling much weaker than the day before.

Akutagawa didn't even wish to speak, as it hurt his vocal cords. He had so much to say to Atsushi. I love you. I'm sorry. Stay with me please. He didn't want left alone away from Atsushi when he was practically on his death bed.

***

The day went by slow until the sun began to set.

Atsushi looked outside and stood, having bought fireworks and had put them in a car he had rented specifically for this day. He helped Akutagawa into the passenger seat of the car before he got into the driver's seat, driving carefully.

Atsushi drove them near a hill, parking the car. He picked up Akutagawa, carrying the fireworks in a bag, and carried him up the hill. He set Akutagawa down and began to set up the fireworks. He just wanted Akutagawa happy.

Akutagawa lazily watched Atsushi as the fireworks were set up, seeing the sun set more. Atsushi lit a few before sitting next to Akutagawa, staying close to the fireworks so he could set more off.

Akutagawa looked at the skybas he saw the fireworks go off, the sparkles of fire lighting the sky. He was amazed, though underwhelmed.

Atsushi continued to light off fireworks until there were none left, letting Akutagawa lean against him.

"Jin...ko..." Akutagawa spoke weakly. His breathing was raspy.

"What is, it Akutagawa? Did you enjoy yourself?" Atsushi helped keep Akutagawa up a bit, holding him close.

"I did... It was better with you, Jinko..." Akutagawa spoke softly as his eyes closed. "Jinko... I..."

For how quiet Akutagawa was getting, Atsushi was getting worried. He knew panicking wouldn't help, though. "You what, Akutagawa?"

Akutagawa coughed, lurching forward and puking up blood. Atsushi rubbed Akutagawas back as Akutagawa calmed down. Akutagawa leaned back against Atsushi and spoke.

"Thank you... I enjoyed myself today... with you... I... love you, Jinko..." Akutagawa spoke quietly. "Heh... I finally said it..." He coughed a bit before becoming silent.

Atsushi's eyes widened as he teared up. "I love you too, Akutagawa... So much..." He felt a lump in his throat as he felt Akutagawa's weight shift. He shakily placed his hand to Akutagawa's neck to try and feel a pulse. When he felt nothing while Akutagawa grow cold, he burst into tears.

"AKUTAGAWA!!!"