22. Colette

Incredible! Completely unbelievable! Does it look as cool on me when I transform?

As he falls, Edgar's clothes change into a sweater with a bright sash, his skin turns pale green, his hair grows a little and forms a few jagged tips. But the most impressive thing is his scarf: it transforms into two gigantic metal snakes! Or robot snakes? Robosnakes? One purple, the other neon pink. Absolutely crazy and so cool!

Would you please take your eyes off your friend and take care of the Gift Shop instead, before there is no more Gift Shop any longer!

My inner Trixie is already dressed in full firefighter gear, with two holes in the helmet for her horns. Armed with a fire extinguisher, she runs around in my head in a panic. Normally she is the more composed one of us.

But I should organize a fire extinguisher as quickly as possible, for heaven's sake, THE GIFT SHOP IS BURNING!!!

Without thinking too much about it, I do what Edgar did, push myself off the railing and let myself fall into the depths while I frantically stroke the spine of my book.

Red skin, horns, claws, fangs, devil tail and flying book - Trixie-Colette is here!

"Find a fire extinguisher!" I command my book as I try to dodge the flames with my wings.

"Colette! The windows!" Edgar's yellow snake eyes flash as he darts through the room like a ninja and rips open all the windows in the basement. I quickly make my way to the upper floor. Clouds of smoke almost completely block my view.

If this continues, all of us here will succumb to smoke inhalation! My inner devil whines and theatrically puts on a gas mask.

Under no circumstances! Not as long as I'm the cashier here and have Edgar and my scrapbook at my side!

This one comes back at this very moment - with two fire extinguishers in its mouth!

Perfect!

"Edgar!" I shout as I take the fire extinguishers, pull the safety bars, and throw them downwards.

The emo comes running, catches an extinguisher in each snake's mouth, activates both at the same time and causes foam to rain throughout the room! Like a lawn sprinkler on a Brawlball court. He elegantly throws a fire extinguisher up to me, which I catch and distribute its contents in a flying pirouette over all the burning garlands around me.

Edgar, meanwhile, does a cartwheel, does a backflip, jumps diagonally against the wall, and pushes himself off the other wall again. Three more pushes against a shelf, the terrain, and my flying book, then he reached my height level.

No wings at all. Wow. This boy is really something extraordinary!

I quickly throw the empty fire extinguisher to my book, grab Edgar by the ankles and turn around again and again while the snake emo smothers the very last flames with the rest of his extinguisher.

With a skilful loop, I sweep the stuffy smoke out of the windows in all directions. Edgar ends up on my scrapbook again and I can fly anyway thanks to the Trixie skin.

At that moment the lights come back on, thunderous applause echoes through the room as several spotlights shine on us. Icy cold floods the room and trickles from above... is that snow? In here?!

Actually! Tiny flakes float gracefully from the ceiling, glittering in the spotlight like precious diamonds, all the fire extinguisher foam is covered with hoarfrost and sparkles as if it were an abstract ice sculpture.

Surprised, I look at the DJ booth and see: Lou! He holds an unconscious but apparently uninjured Amber in his arms and nods meaningfully at us.

We slowly float back to the ground and are immediately surrounded by a crowd of enthusiastic people, robots, dinosaurs, cacti, and aliens.

"Do you think they think this was all planned?" I whisper to Edgar.

His scaly fingers intertwine with my claws, and he murmurs quietly so only I can hear.

"Honestly; I don't give a damn."