09 , My death mission

CHAPTER NINE:
MY DEATH MISSION

That night I didn't go to bed.

Instead I found myself standing at the edge of the lake.

I believe I mentioned this either, but I've always been scared of the water. Mainly oceans, but I guess it kinda spread to lakes.

This doesn't really make sense to me. I mean, it makes sense, but it doesn't at the same time.

It explains why my mom said my dad was lost at sea, but if it wasn't true why do I still feel terrified by the water.

I feel like my biggest fear is becoming true. The ocean is taking me away, away from my life, away from myself. And I hate it.

I feel like I want to scream, but I know I can't because if I do 99% of the camp will be here in seconds armed for a fight.

"River" my head snapped over to the girl.

Aella was there, standing in the dark. Her face perfectly silhouetted in the moonlight.

Was there anything that wasn't perfect about this girl.

"What are you doing here" what is she doing here?

"Sitting" I paused. I'm not sitting "uh—standing" I corrected.

"Are you okay" she walked closer to me. She had rapped herself in a blanket. A blue blanket.

"I'm fine" I said.

"Then you should be fine with me joining you" I don't understand why she would want to. She looks tired as if she had just woken up from a 3 hour nap.

"Yeah, im fine with that"

I'm not sure if I actually was.

"What are you doing here"

"I told you I'm standing"

She rolled her eyes "no. What are you doing here" she emphasized the 'here'.

"Standing" I repeated. She gave me an 'I'm not that stupid Look' which I 100% believe.

I stood for another second before deciding this would be easier sitting down. So I sat, Aella following short after.

"I think everyone hates me" I finally spoke.

"Why" I'm not sure if she actually wanted to know. It sounded like it, but I don't know maybe I'm wrong.

I scrunched my nose and shrugged.

Aella let out a short sigh "River" she paused, probably thinking of what to say "you can't choose who your parents are. Some people are lucky and they get a minor god that has done nothing wrong, sometimes they get the ones that actually care about their children, like Apollo, or Demeter. I mean even Ares seems to at least pay attention to his kids. But sometimes they get the ones that ignore you or the ones, that by having you, mark you with a curse."

"You knew her didn't you" I didn't mean to interrupt her, it just came out.

Aella looked over at me a little confused.

"The girl, in the tree"

Something in Aellas eyes went cold. I've never seen her look so mean.

She sucked in a breath and only slightly relaxed. "Thalia" she corrected me.

"Sorry"

"No, it's fine" she looked down at her hands. "I knew her."