02 , hot hunter ladies

CHAPTER TWO:
HOT HUNTER LADIES

I didn't know what kind of monster Dr. Thorn was, but he was fast.

I currently felt as if I had missed the last three nights of sleep. I was fighting with every muscle in my body not to close my eyes and fall to the ground. If Percy wasn't holding me up, I would probably already be dead.

"What are you doing, Jackson?" hissed Dr. Thorn. "Keep moving!"

"It's my shoulder," he said. "It burns." I looked over at him confused for a second, until I noticed the cut on his shoulder.

One of the thorns must have cut him.

"Bah! My poison causes pain. It will not kill you. Walk!"

"I feel like I might die" I mumbled.

"There is a clearing ahead," Thorn said. "We will summon your ride."

"What ride?" Bianca demanded. "Where are you taking us?"

"Silence, you insufferable girl!"

"Don't talk to my sister that way." Nico said. His voice quivered, but I was impressed that he had the guts to say anything at all.

Dr. Thorn made a growling sound that definitely wasn't human. It made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

      "Halt," Thorn said.

      The woods had opened up. We'd reached a cliff overlooking the sea. At least, I sensed the sea was down there, hundreds of feet below. I could hear the waves churning and I could smell the cold salty froth. But all I could see was mist and darkness.

      Dr. Thorn pushed us toward the edge.

      Percy stumbled back, causing me to slip to the ground, barely catching myself.

      I groaned at the pain in my arm that now suddenly made me feel like throwing up.

      "I feel sick" I grumbled grumbled sitting back on my knees.

      "What is he?" Bianca whispered from behind me. "How do we fight him?"

      "I...I'm working on it." Percy said.

      I glared up at him "work faster. I mean, unless you want me to kill myself"

      "I'm scared," Nico mumbled. He was fiddling with something a little metal toy soldier of some kind.

      "Stop talking!" Dr. Thorn said. "Face me!"

      We turned.

      Thorn's two-tone eyes glittered hungrily. He pulled something from under his coat. At first I thought it was a switchblade, but it was only a phone. He pressed the side button and said, "The package it is ready to deliver."

      There was a garbled reply, and I realized Thorn was in walkie-talkie mode. This seemed way too modern and creepy a monster using a mobile phone.