Chloe

December 8, 2023

I'm officially a real writer now. I have a bottle of wine next to me, with wine in a glass next to it. I'm in one of those moods where I miss my dog. I try to push forward when this feeling swells up in my chest. Sometimes though I can't help but cry. I miss walking her, in fact when she was diagnosed with cancer I thought,

"My happy place when she is gone, will be on these walks. So you better soak these in Amanda."

Those walks were a place of quiet, but peaceful serenity. I'd hear her panting and look over as she was dropping a deuce. I'd smile because I'm childish and of course my cathartic moment includes Chloe the Spooper girl talking a fat dump. 

Chloe radiated pure personality, even down to how she walked. With her wolf strut since she was half dingo half German Shepard. Her confidence was like a cartoon dog, always chiming in with a look on her face or a snort. 

I wish more than anything to sit down on my couch in Florida, open a bag of chips and toss one to Chloe. If I had one wish, that would be it. 

I got her when I was 9 years old. My father, brother, and I were at my dad's friend's house for a visit. My dad's friends James and Lisa were celebrating something. So my dad was not sober and my 9 year old self saw an opportunity. I asked my dad if we could finally get a dog. For the longest time the answer was always,

"No, you won't take care of it and I will have to raise it along with you and your brother."

I can't exactly argue his logic, but as a 9 year old I wasn't taking no for an answer. When I asked him in this state his reaction was different to my surprise. He said,

"Fine" and threw his wallet at me from across the room.

I high tailed it out of there so fast, before he could change his mind. I was in racehorse mode, get this dog a part of the family before he wises up. Lisa helped me look online for local dogs with her computer. On a little known site called PennySaver.com I found an advertisement for a puppy from a litter on a farm in Oldsmar, California. 

We all piled into the car, I have no idea who drove before you start to wonder. I was 9 and focused on a new puppy. When we pulled up to this farm it was cluttered with junk and old cars. The lady who owned the place walked us to the back of the property behind the house. There was a giant chicken coop with stuffing everywhere. There was loose chicken wire, and garbage sprinkled inside and outside of the coop. My gaze was locked onto all the puppies that were tanish colored, wondering which dog would be my new best friend. 

I looked over at my father and the farmer having a conversation,

"I have 2 girls in the litter of 8, but one of the girls I'm saving for my granddaughter. So I got 1 puppy left for sale. She'll cost 100 dollars."

My dad then asked, "Does the puppy have it's shots?"

"No"

"Does the puppy need to be spayed?"

"Yes"

"Has this dog ever been seen by a vet?"

"No"

"Ma'am, I am not paying 100 dollars for this puppy. I have to get shots for it, spay it, and all the supplies alone are ridiculously expensive."

So the lady decided to give us the dog free of charge and we took her home.