Chapter 3

Chapter 3: The Race For The Cure

Stefan and Elena arrive to see Damon being choked by a rope. "Damon!" Stefan calls out. He tries to get the rope off his brother's neck while his brother groans in pain. The vervain burns Stefan's fingers, and he hisses in pain. "You're wasting time," Damon says, "Just get the cure. Go." "We're not gonna leave you," Elena insists. "No, we aren't," Stefan says looking at his brother before turning to Elena, "You need to go ahead. We'll be right behind you." Stefan sees her hesitate before leaving. She jumps down into the shaft.

Stefan finally manages to free Damon and Damon falls to the ground. "All right, come on, we need to catch up," Stefan says helping his brother to his feet. "No, it's okay, I just need a minute. I'm only gonna slow you down," Damon says breathlessly, "Go. She only needs one of us."

"And what?" Stefan asks angrily, "You don't care to be the one anymore? You betrayed me and now you decide it's easier to walk away?" Damon swallows despite his dry mouth. "There's only one dose of the cure... She wants to take it. You want her to take it. I don't. Just do what makes her happy, Stefan."

Stefan shakes his head. "Things have changed. It's not that easy anymore." He smiles sadly, looking down at the floor and Damon finally sees how much he's actually hurt his brother. "Get your ass down that well," Damon demands, and Stefan hesitates. "Now," Damon insists. Stefan looks at his brother before jumping down the well.

Stefan finds Shane lying on the ground and demands to know where Jeremy and Bonnie are. Shane claims to have no idea. Stefan grabs him by the collar. "Stop lying." Shane gasps for air. He offers to take Stefan the rest of the way if he helps him. Stefan refuses. "Now you know what it feels like to have hope and lose it." He drops Shane to the ground and walks away.

Stefan is walking through the passage and finds a wall glistening with blood. He rushes over to Elena, "What happened?" Elena is breathing heavily when she replies, "She's here." "Who?" Stefan asks concerned. "Katherine," Elena replies. Stefan's eyes widen and he races off.

He finds Jeremy being sucked dry by Silas. He pulls Jeremy off and starts feeding him his blood. "Come on, Jeremy, come on." Jeremy gasps for air and starts coughing. Stefan rushes over to Bonnie and feeds her some of his blood. Jeremy holds Bonnie for a few moments. Then they all turn their attention to Silas only to find that he's gone.

They head back to the upper cave chamber. "How did this happen?" Damon asks. Stefan sighs, "Katherine... She must have been following us the whole time. Silas and the cure are gone." Damon nods. "I'll do a round around the island... You get everyone ready to leave," Stefan tells Damon. Damon nods and Stefan speeds away.

Suddenly Rebekah appears next to him. "Where is it? The cure? I know someone has it."

Stefan sighs. "Yeah, Katherine." Rebekah frowns and asks, "Katherine as in the doppelganger?" Stefan nods. "Yeah... She must have been spying on us for weeks." "We need to find her." Stefan presses his lips together. "We also need to be beware of the immortal Silas... He's awake now." He turns around and starts walking away. Rebekah hesitates before following him.

They all arrive back in Mystic Falls, battered, bruised and without the cure.

Stefan collapses on his bed. He hears a knock at the door. "Can I come in?" Stefan shrugs. "I came to apologize..." Rebekah starts off before Stefan interrupts her. "For what?" "Snapping your neck," Rebekah says guiltily.

"You wanted the cure," Stefan says, "You wanted to be human. I understand that... And what you said before, you were right." Rebekah walks closer to him and sits down on the bed next to him. "So, what now?"

"I don't know," Stefan admits, "We work on finding Katherine." Rebekah bites her lip. "What about us?" Stefan doesn't say anything. "I didn't want to be alone tonight," Rebekah says. He doesn't respond so she gets up and starts walking towards the door. He speeds in front of her. "I don't want to be alone tonight either." She smiles as she looks up at him and places her hands on his chest. He kisses and pulls her closer to him. She kisses him back passionately and they fall onto the bed together.

Elena walks past Stefan's room and hearing moaning and groaning. She lets her curiosity get the better of her and peaks into the room to find Rebekah and Stefan's bodies intertwined. They're so intoxicated with each other, they don't even notice her. She clenches her fists and bites her lip so hard that she draws blood. All she can think of doing is grabbing Rebekah by her hair and yanking her out of Stefan's bed. The dragging her somewhere and staking her. Elena growls before speeding off it grab a blood bag, hoping that the blood will calm her.