Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Run away with me

After a lot of struggles and some unexpected help, Bonnie makes Silas harden completely with his hand covering his face.

"So, we never get to see what he looks like?" Damon asks curiously.

"I guess not," Bonnie shrugs.

While this was going on, Kol tries to attack Elena, but Jeremy saves her. Before Kol can try again, the veil is back, and he disappears.

Caroline, under Silas's mind control, almost kills herself but Matt manages to restrain her after using a vervain dart to weaken her. His control disappears when Bonnie turns him back into stone.

Bonnie talks to Damon and Stefan. They decide what to do with Silas's body. Stefan agrees to drop it at the bottom of the lake in a safe the next day. Everyone sighs in relief, knowing the whole mess is over and their biggest problem is back to being Klaus. Elena comes in and apologizes to Bonnie for almost killing her.

Elena looks at Damon, "Can I talk to you alone?" Damon nods and they go into another room. Stefan feels a pang in his heart, but nothing compared to the pain he used to feel seeing them together. He leaves to go check on Caroline.

Damon looks at Elena waiting for her to speak, but she spends the next five minutes opening and closing her mouth, struggling to find the words.

Damon lets out a frustrated sigh. "You wanted to talk Elena."

"I know," Elena says softly, "It's just I can't find the words to..."

"The words to what Elena?" Damon narrows his eyes at her, "The words to tell me you're still in love with Stefan."

Elena gulps. "Look the truth is I feel something for you, and I care about you... But every time I see Stefan with Rebekah... It feels like my world is falling apart. It's not fair to you for me to be with you and keep getting jealous over them. I mean I almost turned my humanity on because I was jealous of them. When he showed me the two of them together in my head, I felt like throwing up."

"So, what are you saying Elena?" Damon asks tiredly.

"I..." Elena trails off before speaking more confidently, "I think we need some time apart so I can figure out what I want. I know that I feel something for you, but my feelings for Stefan haven't gone away. When I saw you dance with that girl, I felt nothing... But every time I think of her being in my Stefan's arms, I just want to wring her neck. And that's not fair to you. Now that the sire bond is gone, my feelings aren't as strong as they were before. I'm sorry, Damon."

"You're sorry?" Damon says angrily, "I betrayed my brother to be with you. I hurt him more than I've ever hurt him before just because I loved you and now, you're saying it was all for nothing."

She cups his cheek. "It was for nothing Damon... I do care about you."

He pushes her hand away. "Just not enough apparently," Damon says before walking out.

Stefan arrives and begins checking her for bruises.

"I'm fine, Stefan, I swear!" Caroline insists.

"Are you sure?" Stefan asks in a worried tone.

"Yes," Caroline smiles at him before noticing his somber mood, "Besides you're the one who looks disappointed." Stefan doesn't say anything, he just sighs.

"What's wrong?" Caroline asks Stefan touching his hand trying to provide him with some comfort.

"There was someone that I thought I would see today, and I didn't," Stefan says sadly.

"You better mean me," Lexi's voice rings out.

"You have got to be kidding me," Stefan says before turning around to see Lexi. He smiles and embraces her. After spending some time together, Stefan and Lexi leave to catch up with each other.

They go for a walk down the street. "Do you have any idea how much I've missed you?" Stefan says, tears threatening to spill from his eyes.

"Trust me, I do," Lexi links her arm with his, "Although I see I've been replaced by another blonde... and so has Elena for that matter." She looks at him suggestively.

"What are you giving me that look for?" Stefan raises his eyebrow. "They're cute."

"Do not start," Stefan laughs, and Lexi rolls her eyes.

They have a nice chat, and he hugs Lexi goodbye as Bonnie puts the veil up again. He looks sadly at the spot where she stood, wishing he could have her back.

Stefan sighs as he sits down on his bed. Rebekah enters the room. He looks up at her.

"Elijah wants me to come with him to New Orleans," Rebekah breaks the silence.

"Are you going?" Stefan asks softly.

"Do you want me to?" He doesn't answer her and just looks away.

She sees the suitcase packed lying on the floor. "Where are you going?"

"I was thinking of travelling..." Stefan admits, "I was going to ask if you wanted to come with me."

"So, ask," Rebekah insists.

"You're not going to New Orleans?" Stefan asks surprised.

"Not if I get a better offer," Rebekah says moving closer to him.

"I don't want to keep you away from your family," Stefan cups her cheek.

"You're not," Rebekah replies, "The truth is... there's this newfound freedom I feel now that I'm not under my brother's thumb."

He caresses her cheek. "Well in that case, Rebekah Mikaelson, would you like to run away with me?"

"I did once before... And I do now," Rebekah responds before kissing him.

He pulls her onto his lap, and they kiss passionately. He breaks away from her and rests his forehead against hers.

"I care about you, you know that right?" Stefan gazes into her eyes, "I know this started off as sex, but it isn't just sex anymore."

Rebekah closes her eyes taking in his scent. She looks at him and searches his eyes to make sure this is the truth, because she's been waiting to hear this for so long, she needs to make sure it's true. She sees nothing but sincerity in his eyes.

"I guess neither of us will be alone another night."

Stefan smiles at the joy in her eyes. "No, we won't."

Author's Note: Merry Christmas! Consider this my Christmas present to you <3... Hope you all enjoyed this story and may Stebekah live on forever in our hearts :).