The End of the Line... or is it the Beginning?

On Point

Put Your Best Foot Forward

By Rena Rouge

The time is upon us! Agreste School of Dance will be combining forces with the Agreste Company to piece together this year's Christmas Gala, The Nutcracker. Where most people see the ballet as overdone and a frequent visitor to their neighbourhood, this is only the second year Gabriel Agreste (50) has choreographed the masterpiece since starring in it himself, alongside his late wife, Emilie Agreste.

There is also the newly arrived complication to our Prima dancers in the form of Zoé Lee (20). It seems our original thoughts were correct, Zoé will now be taking on a prima role at the Agreste Company alongside her sister, Chloe Bourgeois (22), and there's no doubt in our mind that Zoé will throw a spanner in the works.

We have also placed our bets and believe he will have chosen his son, Adrien Agreste (22) to dance the same piece as he did himself – the famed 'Sugar Plum Fairy Suite'. This will see the younger Agreste dancing the pas de deux with one of the most experienced dancers within the company, our vote is with his on again – off again girlfriend, Lila Rossi (20).

We hope you're all as excited as we are.

*****

Adrien stood nervously outside his father's door psyching himself up before he entered the lion's den. He was 22 years old for crying out loud, he shouldn't still be afraid of his father. He had the upper hand here! Gabriel needed him, not the other way around. He just needed to put on his big boy pants, and go in there. It was his father! His father! And that was exactly the issue... he turned on his heel and made to get out of there.

He turned again, walking back to the door. He just needed to do it.

Raising one fist to knock, he quickly dropped it down again, moving his head side to side.

What the hell was wrong with him?

Come on, Adrien! Just rip the band aid off... walk in there and announce to your father what you want to do. I'm starting to think you're all talk and no action.

Mentally, growing some balls, Adrien lifted his hand intending to gently knock the door.

Again his head and body weren't in coordination and he pounded his fist against the door a little more aggressively than intended — knowing his father was probably adding it to the list of 'Things Adrien has done wrong'.

"Come in." The curt sound of Gabriel Agreste's voice echoed through the doorway and Adrien began to regret even contemplating this. His father was going to eat him alive and then use his bones to clean between his teeth. His father enjoyed saying the word 'no' and this one was going to be his most favourite, but if he wanted this, he needed to go for it.

Inhaling deeply, Adrien reached out and opened the door. He stepped into his father's office, Gabriel sitting in his usual place at his desk with his hands full of paperwork and his glasses balancing on the edge of his nose. The desk, which was usually so neat and tidy, was covered in pictures and drawings, and even some leftover food. The sandwich had only one bite in it. Had his father not been eating?

His father placed down the selection of papers he was currently holding, threading his fingers together and placing them delicately on the desk. His glasses were still slightly astray and Adrien had to hold it together so he didn't laugh. It was always a memorable day when Gabriel was slightly unhinged.

"Adrien? Take a seat."

Slowly, Adrien edged forwards and sat down on the other side of the desk. He gave it a quick glance over noticing the mock ups of different programme covers lingering above the costume designs, set designs and cast lists. As he tried to find his own name, Gabriel was quick to move them out of the way, Adrien losing sight of the cast list without seeing his name first. Even being the director's son didn't open him up to any priority reveals.